Hindrances in meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
simsapa

Re: Hindrances in meditation

Post by simsapa »

It sounds to me like you feel you have to fight and overcome the hindrances
You do. :anjali:
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

mgm2010 wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:28 am
2600htz wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:50 pm
...... because you are identifying with those thoughts and want to make them stop, taking them as "mine", or "i".
1. Herein lies the catch, Sir.
2. Can we elaborate this point further ??
3. Also, please, suggest a book that covers ALL THE ESSENTIAL features of buddhism for MEDITATION AND CHARACTER BUILDING, but, IN BRIEF.
Hi:

The point is that the Buddha taught personality or character is made by how we cling to the 5 aggregates, how we take the things that arise.
In the case of a thought, take this example:

A runner goes to a 50 km marathon.
When he hits 30 km, this thought arises in his mind: "god make this stop, i want to kill myself".
That is an impersonal thought that arises because of right conditions and previous actions, the runner didnt ask for that thought.
Once that thought hits his awareness, he can have several options or perspectives on the matter:

a)he stops running, goes to his house, grabs a revolver, and shoots himself. Thats "atta", taking that thought as "mine, my self, this thought i am"

b)he stops running, but laughs for asking god that, since he even doesnt believe in one. Neither he does kill himself. Thats intermediate, he took a part of that thought personal, and a part impersonally.

c)he decides not to listen to that thought, he keeps running and completes the race. Thats "anatta", it was just some thought, but he did not really took it as "himself".

So its not so much the content of the thought, its how you take it. You can push a thought because you dont like it, you can take it as something important, you can take it as a true or as a mirage, etc. Thats up to your habitual tendencies.

Uhhm yes i could suggest a book but i feel its kinda like propaganda in a public forum, maybe send me a private message.

Regards.
mgm2010

Post by mgm2010 »

What is Samatha mediation ??
Is it a part of anapanasati ??
Is it given the same importance in buddhism as anapanasati ??
Where can I read about it ??