Venerable Dhammanando's video

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
binocular

Re: Venerable Dhammanando's video

Post by binocular »

The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:28 amwhat is interesting is the idea that bodily positioning is meditation or that which helps you understand the Dhamma.
Sure. But the starting point should be bowing, then kneeling to persons of Buddhist authority and Buddhist sacred items.
Hic Rhodus, hic salta!
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

At about 4:19 it sounds as though Ven. Dhammanando mentions a recommended filling for meditation cushions, but after listening to it several times I can't quite make it out.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Frank23 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:52 pm At about 4:19 it sounds as though Ven. Dhammanando mentions a recommended filling for meditation cushions, but after listening to it several times I can't quite make it out.
kapok

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceiba_pentandra
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

Kapok, yes, as Mr Man noted. It is common in Zen zafus.
https://zafu.net/product/kapok
https://www.amazon.com/Kapok-Zafu-Medit ... B000HG5OWQ

It is very hard and dense. But it becomes softer and more cushiony with use.

If you go to someone's home and see a dense, hard zafu, that means they are probably not sitting on it much. If it is soft and comfortable, that means it got plenty of usage. :tongue:
Anukampati

Post by Anukampati »

DNS wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:11 pm Kapok ... It is very hard and dense. But it becomes softer and more cushiony with use.
Interesting. Some months ago I bought a meditation cushion filled with buckwheat, which I immediately regretted. I took the buckwheat out and replaced it with a batting that I believe may have been a synthetic of some type. It tends to bunch up, though. Will try the kapok cushion in the Amazon link.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

:anjali: Thank you for sharing.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 am
Bundokji wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 am
The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 am
Im trying to find a sutta says that the nature of phenomena is rising-persisting-falling, but I cannot, could you send me a link? I think its in the Anguttara nikaya?
"And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness? There is the case where feelings are known to the monk as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Perceptions are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Thoughts are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Thanks. I see, so that practice of being aware of the particular perception of ones foot moving up and down , will lead to mindfulness and alertness, which one doesnt have yet. ?
I don't know if you are genuinely inquiring or just being contrarian, but assuming the former, yes, both posture in sitting and the form in walking meditation are very helpful.

The reasons are many. One is that practice is to be embodied - it is not something solely mental, as if there was even such a thing. On a deep level the stable posture is extremely helpful for concentration. Stable body and stable mind are not two. Of course if one has a medical reason why one cannot sit like this, then one can still practice. But being lazy with one's posture, preferring comfort is not going to lead to productive meditation. What does and does not make productive meditation or if there is even such a thing, is a whole topic in itself. I think starting right, alert, committed, solid is kind of a no-brainer, though.

And as for walking mindfully, this is a training one then brings into the rest of the day. Practicing concentration with movement makes it easier to bring this attitude into other activities.
_/|\_
jabalí

Post by jabalí »

The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 am
Bundokji wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:53 am
The2nd wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:17 am
Im trying to find a sutta says that the nature of phenomena is rising-persisting-falling, but I cannot, could you send me a link? I think its in the Anguttara nikaya?
"And what is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness? There is the case where feelings are known to the monk as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Perceptions are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. Thoughts are known to him as they arise, known as they persist, known as they subside. This is the development of concentration that, when developed & pursued, leads to mindfulness & alertness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Thanks. I see, so that practice of being aware of the particular perception of ones foot moving up and down , will lead to mindfulness and alertness, which one doesnt have yet. ?
That's right. One doesn't have yet. For that purpose Buddha taught mindfulness of the body.

https://suttacentral.net/sn35.247/en/sujato