Samatha and vipassana in one session

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
anagaarika

Samatha and vipassana in one session

Post by anagaarika »

Hello my noble friends!

I have a simple question:

Do you find it OK to switch between samatha and vipassana within one session? I usually have 45-60 minutes sessions which I always start with samatha. Once I firmly establish my focus and clear my mind of discursive thought, I find it very natural to shift my attention from breath to mental formations. Sometimes when I begin to lose my focus or get carried away, I return back to samatha to re-establish firm focus and possibly get back to observing later again.

I understand that samatha and vipassana are complementary practices and should support each other. Do you think it is okay to practice them both within one session, or are they to be strictly separated?

Thank you very much!
Mr. Seek

Re: Samatha and vipassana in one session

Post by Mr. Seek »

Ajahn Lee speaks about how samatha and vipassana can be done at the same by proficient breath meditators. Check his writings. He wrote a lot on the subtle insights one can gain from the breath, relating it to Buddhist doctrine, etc.
anagaarika

Post by anagaarika »

Mr. Seek wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:01 pm Ajahn Lee speaks about how samatha and vipassana can be done at the same by proficient breath meditators. Check his writings. He wrote a lot on the subtle insights one can gain from the breath, relating it to Buddhist doctrine, etc.
Well I´m not sure whether I qualify as a "proficient" meditator, I guess that would be for some teacher to judge :lol: I have practiced "secular" meditation long before I commited to the eightfold path so I have no problems sitting for up to 60 minutes while feeling very comfortable (both physically and mentally) and it was relatively easy for me to slip into the samatha practice. I know that my practice is going well because I mostly get the right reaction from my body and mind etc., but I would probably reserve the term "proficient" for someone who reached at least the first jhana. Anyways, thank you very much for this tip, I will check it out!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

I think that approach of starting with Samatha and then switching to another method - vipassana - is recommended by the Goenka tradition. Personally, I can't see anything wrong with it.