After a year of meditating....

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
pinit29

Re: After a year of meditating....

Post by pinit29 »

This might due to the misunderstanding of meditation concepts. I am not sure if I could explain this well enough since English is not my native language. But I will try my best.

In Thailand, we were taught there are 2 types of Samathi(meditation).
1. Samantha samathi - focused mind on one thing to obtain Samathi
2. Vipassana samathi - to obtain the true knowledge to obtain Nibbana.

One cannot be successful in Vipassana samathi unless obtaining Samatha samathi first. Anyway, noting the breathing is considered as doing Samantha and Vipassana Samathi at the same time. So, this is one of the right way to pursuing the path of Nibbana. However, since the breathing is being hard to take noted for someone, there are teaching method suggesting that we should obtain Samantha Samathi first then move on to Vipassana.

Here is a way that I've been taught to do the Samantha Samathi + (my own experience)
1. Focus on a word, any word: I used "Bhud-dha".
2. As you breath in: noted your mind on the word "Bhud". And as you breath out: noted your mind on the word " Dha"
3. The breathing is just a rhythm of changing between 2 words. So do not take too much notice on Breathing but instead focus on those 2 words.
4. As focusing on those 2 words, do not picture the writing of those words, only focus on the sound of the word itself.
5. Imagine the sound is around inside your nose.
6. Keep doing this without expectation. And do not mind whatever happen to your body nor any thoughts come to your mind. Sati is the key here.
7. As this keeps going, there will be a moment that your mind has awaken in very peaceful and calming state. The focusing words Bhud-dha has lost. This is when you have to focus on the Breathing instead.
8. This is where the part of Vipassana about to come in. While focusing on the Breathing, do not think of the wind that you breath in and out. Instead, you have to feel the wind, take note to the wind at your nose.
9.After awhile, if there is any thoughts coming to your mind. Do no try to ignore it, instead take note to those thoughts. After you use your Sati kept closed look at those thoughts, sometimes the thoughts will disappear. That is when you have to come back to your breathing where you repeat step 8 and 9again.

Hope this will help you.