What do you consider wasted time? Why?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bhooooo

What do you consider wasted time? Why?

Post by bhooooo »

Hi,
been thinking about "wasted time" as in the past i had bad habits and a thirst for superficial pleasures. Sometimes I considered them as "wasted time", however with hindsight and a positive outlook, they might have been what pushed me to the Dhamma and meditation. Likewise, I stopped classifying time as wasted if it's not aligned to my profession or objectives. Likewise, in meditation the focus on the breath sometimes slips away, however it is found back. So here I am, wondering about your interpretation and insights about "wasted time".
Aloka

Re: What do you consider wasted time? Why?

Post by Aloka »

I found this talk from Ajahn Amaro very helpful:

:anjali:

bhooooo

Post by bhooooo »

Aloka wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:22 pm I found this talk from Ajahn Amaro very helpful:

:anjali:

aniccally appreciated, thanks!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I consider wasted time if I am not in Yoniso Manasikara or on Satipathana.
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
cappuccino

Post by cappuccino »

The Merovingian wrote:Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?
:)
Coaching
I specialize in Theravada Buddhism.
SteRo

Post by SteRo »

The only wasted time is wasted time that isn't realized as wasted time. Why? Because even wasted time realized as wasted time isn't wasted due to that realization.
Cleared. αδόξαστος.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

when not in right view, I see as waste time
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
bhooooo

Post by bhooooo »

SarathW wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:41 am I consider wasted time if I am not in Yoniso Manasikara or on Satipathana.
:meditate:
I'm sorry these are very technical terms that I'm failing to understand!
SteRo wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:18 am The only wasted time is wasted time that isn't realized as wasted time. Why? Because even wasted time realized as wasted time isn't wasted due to that realization.
It's a good realization!
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:15 pm when not in right view, I see as waste time
I had a similar logic, however had I been in right view across my entire time then I'd have no way to distinguish which is which. One has to commit mistakes to appreciate the right way imho.