Meditation advice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Mysgubbe

Meditation advice

Post by Mysgubbe »

Hello Dhamma Wheel.

I come with my first post here asking for advice regarding my meditation practice.

When i first started meditating seriously i found that after a while when intense dullness sets in
and i am falling in and out of the hypnagogic state, i would by my best guess catch? my awareness in an instant and experience intense bright yellow light followed by really intense heart rate increase, shivers and hyper awareness, like waking up to a cold shower or something alike.

Continuing my practice i found it a tiny bit easier to enter this state with a bit of willed effort in the right moment. I get the same experience, but it varies in strength and duration.

Having studied alot of meditation books and various advice, i would guess that i should not get to attached to this experience and continue to be just mindful and focused on the breath.
But at the same time it feels like i am cultivating/training something which i cant grasp fully yet.

I am grateful for any input

:namaste:
Inedible

Re: Meditation advice

Post by Inedible »

Are you meditating or trying to have a wake induced lucid dream?
Mysgubbe

Post by Mysgubbe »

I can deduce what you are proposing by your response, and i might aggree there are actually similarites.
As the title says meditation advice and not lucid dream advice, i would suggest i am trying to meditate :).

My experience, was that first time this occured, i was alot less awake and it was an accident. but having reached this experience more often by noticing the signs, i am more awake each time but at the sametime i am using more will/effort or whatever you would call it.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Inedible wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:59 pm Are you meditating or trying to have a wake induced lucid dream?
What is ur favorite?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:45 pm What is ur favorite?
Mostly I just sit to meditate. When trying for a WILD I usually either keep myself awake or go into regular sleep. It can be years between episodes of hypnagogia even when using mugwort, which is supposed to help with having more of it.
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Mysgubbe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:16 pm As the title says meditation advice and not lucid dream advice, i would suggest i am trying to meditate :).
Then the next question is which technique did you choose to meditate?

And the third question is what are you intending to get from doing it?
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Welcome.
It's a long path. No time to waste. One can die any moment. Too much intellectualising leads to confusion.
The best advice I received early in practice when I tried to ask clever questions was 'don't worry about that. Return to the breath'.
The answers will naturally come when the time is ripe.
Srilankaputra

Post by Srilankaputra »

Probably you have accessed a way to drop in to the bhavanga. Not a recommended practice in Theravada as far as I know.

Wish you all success in all your endeavours. Goodbye!
Mysgubbe

Post by Mysgubbe »

Thanks for your input, i appreciate it!

i will contiue to return to the breath as Sunnat mentioned, i also belive the answer will come when the time is right.

Thanks!
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Meditation can be used to access all kinds of different states of consciousness. It's a powerful tool, and can be used for various things.
Be clear to yourself what you are doing it for. If it's to investigate some part of your mind or have some kind of experience, that's okay, just know what your intention is.
Try not to get psychonaut explorations muddled up, or mixed up, with cultivating Right Consciousness. You can do both, but keep them clearly separate.
auto

Post by auto »

4 kinds of mindfulness meditation is done dependent on sīla
https://suttacentral.net/sn47.46/en/sujato wrote: When you’ve done this, you should develop the four kinds of mindfulness meditation, depending on and grounded on ethics.
Yato kho tvaṁ, bhikkhu, pātimokkhasaṁvarasaṁvuto viharissasi ācāragocarasampanno aṇumattesu vajjesu bhayadassāvī samādāya sikkhassu sikkhāpadesu; tato tvaṁ, bhikkhu, sīlaṁ nissāya sīle patiṭṭhāya cattāro satipaṭṭhāne bhāveyyāsi.
If you don't follow certain conduct of rules thus if weather is poop then allowing yourself to cancel practice, there is no point practice at all.
pitithefool

Post by pitithefool »

Mysgubbe wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:19 pm Hello Dhamma Wheel.

I come with my first post here asking for advice regarding my meditation practice.

When i first started meditating seriously i found that after a while when intense dullness sets in
and i am falling in and out of the hypnagogic state, i would by my best guess catch? my awareness in an instant and experience intense bright yellow light followed by really intense heart rate increase, shivers and hyper awareness, like waking up to a cold shower or something alike.

Continuing my practice i found it a tiny bit easier to enter this state with a bit of willed effort in the right moment. I get the same experience, but it varies in strength and duration.

Having studied alot of meditation books and various advice, i would guess that i should not get to attached to this experience and continue to be just mindful and focused on the breath.
But at the same time it feels like i am cultivating/training something which i cant grasp fully yet.

I am grateful for any input

:namaste:
I apologize in advance but I'm mostly ignoring other comments on this thread.

I have two pieces of information that may be helpful:

1) I often find that trying to restrict awareness to a point-like object often leads to drowsiness in certain meditators. I like to make the entire breath-body the object of meditation, but I've heard of others having success using the area around the navel, the throat, the base of the skull, the center of the skull, the chest, the entire torso, etc. In short, larger object = more awareness = less drowsiness, as a rule of thumb.

Keep in mind, what works for me or others may not work for you, and it will likely require experimentation and/or the advice of a good teacher.

2) Posture has a pretty big effect on the outcome as well. I posted elsewhere on here about posture, and I'll have to find it, but someone said to me to try and find a posture which takes as little effort as possible to maintain as erect as possible of a posture. I use a zafu or a seiza bench most often and if I'm careful, I can find a good posture which takes virtually no effort to remain upright, with the spine straight like an arrow. That's pretty important because not only does it make it so adjusting the posture doesn't become a distraction, but also that the uprightness opens up the wind channels in the body and tends to energize it. In short, better posture = open wind/breath channels = more wakefulness = more pleasant and calm yet wakeful meditation.

Also, I might stir some controversy by saying this, but attachment to the pleasure of meditation (piti-sukha) undercuts attachment to sense pleasure (kama raga). This is not to say you should chase after a certain experience, but, it might do good to allow yourself to enjoy meditation. Seeing signs, lights, visions, etc. are all impermanent and unsatisfactory, but using meditation to wean yourself off of attachment to pleasure in general is indeed the point and purpose of meditating in the first place, as I understand it. Learning how to recognize and recreate the conditions for a good meditation session are key here and that's mostly going to be in the form of letting go, relaxing, and guarding the senses rather than going after a particular experience.

Hope this helps :anjali:

(P.S. one more thing here, I recall a sutta in which the Buddha stated that the proximal cause of drowsiness is over eating, so watching what and how much one eats is pretty useful too)
Please note: This profile picture is not actually a picture of the user.