how to meditate at 4 AM

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Umangi

how to meditate at 4 AM

Post by Umangi »

I practice annapana and Vipassana in the evening everyday for an hour,for morning I try to get up in the morning at 4 am for practice and after sitting for 15 mins or so, I just lie down feeling calm and the body just feels like it need to lie down and then I sleep off waking up at 7.30 then.
any suggestion that can help?
bodom

Re: how to meditate at 4 AM

Post by bodom »

Do walking meditation.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Umangi

Post by Umangi »

Okay😁
Thankyou.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Try to take shower after waking up and sleep for 6 to 7h30 (go to sleep at 22h or 20h30).

I do this way and there is no problem. Also need dome time to let the body habituate to new schedule...
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

When I'm at the monastery, at 4am everyone else is inside the hall sitting meditating.
And I'm outside marching fast, vigorously, up and down a long meditation path. :rofl:

I have no idea how they stay awake, three hours before dawn.
In two decades of morning meditation, I've only ONCE had a good sitting meditation before dawn. I think my energy is very linked to the sun.
I do awareness of sensations during walking, and metta at each end of the path.
Umangi

Post by Umangi »

Thankyou Alino and James☺️🌸
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

But the Awakened One, with a great teacher's solicitude for his disciples, did not lose sight of him. With his supernormal vision he perceived the difficulties of the new monk, and by magic power he appeared before him. When Moggallana saw the Master standing before him, a good part of his fatigue had already vanished. Now the Awakened One asked him:

"Are you nodding, Moggallana, are you nodding?" — "Yes. Lord." —
1. "Well then, Moggallana, at whatever thought drowsiness befalls you, to that thought you should not give attention and not dwell on that thought. Then, by doing so, it is possible that your drowsiness will vanish.

2. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, then you should reflect upon the Teaching as you have heard and learned it, you should ponder over it and examine it closely in your mind. Then, by doing so, it is possible that your drowsiness will vanish.

3. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, then you should repeat in full detail the Teaching as you have heard and learned it. Then, by doing so, it is possible that drowsiness will vanish.

4. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, then you should pull both ear-lobes and rub your limbs with your hand. Then, by doing so, it is possible that drowsiness will vanish.

5. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, you should get up from your seat and, after washing your eyes with water, you should look around in all directions and upwards to the stars and constellations. Then, by doing so, it is possible that your drowsiness will vanish.

6. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, you should give attention to the perception of light, to the perception of day (-light): as by day so by night, as by night so by day. Thus, with your mind clear and unclouded, you should cultivate a mind that is full of brightness. Then, by doing so, it is possible that your drowsiness will vanish.

7. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, then, with your senses turned inward and your mind not straying outward, you should take to walking up and down, being aware of going to and fro. Then, by doing so, it is possible that your drowsiness will vanish.

8. "But if, by doing so, drowsiness does not vanish, you may, mindfully and clearly aware, lie down, lion-like, on your right side, placing foot on foot, keeping in mind the thought of rising; and on awakening, you should quickly get up, thinking 'I must not indulge in the comfort of resting and reclining, in the pleasure of sleeping.'

"Thus, Moggallana, should you train yourself."

— Anguttara Nikaya VII, 58
form

Post by form »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 pm When I'm at the monastery, at 4am everyone else is inside the hall sitting meditating.
And I'm outside marching fast, vigorously, up and down a long meditation path. :rofl:

I have no idea how they stay awake, three hours before dawn.
In two decades of morning meditation, I've only ONCE had a good sitting meditation before dawn. I think my energy is very linked to the sun.
I do awareness of sensations during walking, and metta at each end of the path.
Maybe they sleep very early. After enough hours of sleep, one can't sleep anymore.