How long to tarry with mental phenomena?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
dpcalder

How long to tarry with mental phenomena?

Post by dpcalder »

I'm conflicted about how long remain mindful of mental contact that is unpleasant. I sometimes examine it in terms of anicca, anatta and dukkha but I don't know if doing this can derail my meditation with unpleasant feelings. Should I just encounter these phenomena as fleeting instead?
SarathW

Re: How long to tarry with mental phenomena?

Post by SarathW »

In Satipathana know that you have unpleasant feelings (Vedananupassana) feelings. Then be aware of the anger arising with it. (Dhammanupassana) and bring your attention (Sati) back to your breath. (Kayanupassana)
You also can observe the impermanence, impersonal and unsatisfactory nature of Dhamma. (Dhammanupassana)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
pegembara

Post by pegembara »

You compose and focus your mind on an object eg. breath, body sensations every time you feel pulled by feelings. Do that until you no longer need the anchor. Nothing can derail your meditation if your anchor is strong enough.
"Just as if a person, catching six animals of different ranges, of different habitats, were to bind them with a strong rope. Catching a snake, he would bind it with a strong rope. Catching a crocodile... a bird... a dog... a hyena... a monkey, he would bind it with a strong rope. Binding them all with a strong rope, he would tether them to a strong post or stake."

"Thus you should train yourselves: 'We will develop mindfulness immersed in the body. We will pursue it, hand it the reins and take it as a basis, give it a grounding. We will steady it, consolidate it, and set about it properly.' That's how you should train yourselves."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

dpcalder wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 pm I'm conflicted about how long remain mindful of mental contact that is unpleasant. I sometimes examine it in terms of anicca, anatta and dukkha
hi

Its anicca, dukkha & anatta, in that order. "dukkha" here does not mean "unpleasant feelings". "dukkha" here means the impermanent object cannot be relied on for happiness due to its impermanent & fleeting nature
dpcalder wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 pm How long to tarry with mental phenomena?
as for "unpleasant feelings" ("dukkha vedana"), if they are mental, they will eventually passing away or dissipate when their energy declines. if the feelings a physical, they may not pass away, thus one must change posture. kind regards :smile:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Haniver

Post by Haniver »

We want to let go, and for that we first have to understand what we're letting go of. So how long? Just enough to be able to renounce.
Deep understanding comes not from analyzing, but from a clear mind, and that comes from detachment. We see things as impermanent for the sole reason of dettaching from them.
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Haniver wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:09 pm ... We see things as impermanent for the sole reason of dettaching from them.
Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean?
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Haniver

Post by Haniver »

mjaviem wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:29 pm Could you elaborate on this? What do you mean?
Yes, things being impermanent is just a truth of life. But the reason that truth is relevant to us is that seeing things as impermanent removes their charm, and we can get free of them. It applies to everything, from a grudge or a want to "myself": When I see myself as nothing more than an impermanent body and impermanent thoughts, I will get free of it.
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

Do not tarry at all. As soon as becoming aware of the phenomena, simply note its arising and return to the object of meditation.