Did the Buddha use method of "analysis" ???

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Rambutan

Re: Did the Buddha use method of "analysis" ???

Post by Rambutan »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 am
pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 am Here is an example of "analysis" - or deconstruction.
The above is by Sister Vajira.
pegembara wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:51 amAn another -
"Bhikkhus, form is not-self. Were form self, then this form would not lead to affliction, and one could have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.' And since form is not-self, so it leads to affliction, and none can have it of form: 'Let my form be thus, let my form be not thus.'

"Bhikkhus, feeling is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, perception is not-self...

"Bhikkhus, determinations are not-self...

"Bhikkhus, consciousness is not self.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .nymo.html
The above appears to say form, feeling, perception, formations & consciousness are not-self. I does not appear to be an attempt to deconstruct the self. Instead, it appears to be the insight revealed about examination of body & mind. You appear to be placing the cart before the horse. When Gotama undertook the Noble Search, was he searching to deconstruct the Self? :shrug:
Basically, yes.
Also deconstructing both the cart and the horse
(The examples of the butcher, and the chariot).
By pointing out that nothing identifiable as a ‘self’ can be found anywhere in the body (or outside of it) he draws one to the conclusion that nothing truly ‘exists’ which can be identified as ‘self’.
Why is this the conclusion arrived at?
Because to truly ‘exist’ as the condition of self-being, it must mean that whatever one is identifying is not merely a collection of parts, and does not arise or pass away conditionally but rather, is self-arising and cannot be divided into components. In other words, atman.
But the Buddha never says, “here is the self, but it doesn’t exist”. Nor does the Buddha deny that the experience of a self occurs. Indeed, it is that experience and clinging to it, which is why we have the suffering the Buddha sought to remedy.
Dhammavamsa

Post by Dhammavamsa »

DooDoot wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:43 am
Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:29 am Buddha is the true Vibhajjavadin. He breaking down, analyses, and dispel the illusion of "Self" view.
Buddha analyzed & broken down dukkha. It was only because dukkha is related to 'self' the Buddha broke down 'self'. If 'self' was not the cause of dukkha, the Buddha would have ignored it.

In 'theory', many 'Buddhists' not yet free from dukkha superstitiously declare all things are 'not-self' from blind faith. If the mind is not yet free from dukkha, believing in not-self is the same as believing in god. :smile:
That would be you. Trying to distort the Suttas as much as you want. In the end, to each his/her own Kamma.
Deleted
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Dhammavamsa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:44 am That would be you. Trying to distort the Suttas as much as you want. In the end, to each his/her own Kamma.
The Buddha's analytical journey is described beginning in SN 12.10; which was unrelated to not-self.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati