Where in china to meditate?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
eto

Where in china to meditate?

Post by eto »

Does anyone know a good monastery I could spend a few weeks in china? OR perhaps a place that's quiet and scenic? A mountain or forest area with suitable accommodation? (could be a hotel or airbnb type setup etc)

Thank you
JamesTheGiant

Re: Where in china to meditate?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Possibly the folks over on https://www.dharmawheel.net/ might have suggestions.
I'm curious, why China? Are you in that country already?
eto

Post by eto »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:50 am Possibly the folks over on https://www.dharmawheel.net/ might have suggestions.
I'm curious, why China? Are you in that country already?
Okay thank you James.

And correct, I'm in china and can't get out easily because of the travel restrictions etc
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

eto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am Does anyone know a good monastery I could spend a few weeks in china?
There's Dhammavihari Forest monastery in Yunnan:

https://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/1440-zhiguan-temple
cittaanurakkho

Post by cittaanurakkho »

eto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am Does anyone know a good monastery I could spend a few weeks in china? OR perhaps a place that's quiet and scenic? A mountain or forest area with suitable accommodation? (could be a hotel or airbnb type setup etc)

Thank you
I am impressed with Zhenru Chan Monastery, Jiangxi, China.
Their monastic routine is gold standard across China.
The documentary "One Mind" by Edward A. Burger would be a good introduction to watch.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

Maybe Mount Wu Tai Shan? There are many monasteries there. It is the holy abode of Manjushri bodhisattva.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

How about where this documentary was filmed in Zhongnan Mountains, Shaanxi Province.
eto

Post by eto »

Assaji wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:58 pm
eto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am Does anyone know a good monastery I could spend a few weeks in china?
There's Dhammavihari Forest monastery in Yunnan:

https://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/1440-zhiguan-temple
Ah yes. I called them a few weeks ago and they're not taking anyone in the current period.
eto

Post by eto »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 am How about where this documentary was filmed in Zhongnan Mountains, Shaanxi Province.
Love that film. I went to that area a few years ago but it was during winter so was inaccessible.

Could be an option at this time of year though. That said, my feeling is I would need to spend more time there to integrate and make sense of it all.. And right now my priority is to simply get in as much meditation as possible.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Eto, have you done a 10 day Goenka Vipassana course? There's a center is Hong Kong. You'd have to do their kind of meditation which is breath for the first 4 days, then body awareness for 5 days, 11 hours a day. Even using just their methods, it's a whole lot of meditation! It's free of charge, and they have booked-out courses every time.
Their website of 10 day courses. Scroll down, https://www.dhamma.org/en/schedules/schmutta
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

eto wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:29 am Does anyone know a good monastery I could spend a few weeks in china? OR perhaps a place that's quiet and scenic? A mountain or forest area with suitable accommodation? (could be a hotel or airbnb type setup etc)

Thank you
I thought China is mainly Mahayana and there are no Theravada monks in China. Pardon my ignorance.
So you might get a better response if you post this on our sister website Dharma Wheel.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Damian V

Post by Damian V »

www.dhamma.org there are 5 big Vipassana centres in China unfortunately they are only open to Chinese nationals, Hong Kong has a centre open to everyone
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Damian V wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:09 pm www.dhamma.org there are 5 big Vipassana centres in China unfortunately they are only open to Chinese nationals, Hong Kong has a centre open to everyone
Five! That's pretty good. I wonder how they got approved by the government, China seems pretty serious about restricting religion.
mabw

Post by mabw »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:05 am

Five! That's pretty good. I wonder how they got approved by the government, China seems pretty serious about restricting religion.
I've been to China three times. This is not the impression I get. I don't intend to convince anybody of anything, but if you are interested, then this is all I can say:
-there are numerous monastic training colleges in China
-monastics from Taiwan, Hong Kong, SE Asia frequently travel to China to give lectures
-in Chinese Buddhist circles, monks are often requested from China to lead ceremonies outside of China, like in Malaysia.
-Buddhist scholarship is still coming out of Chinese universities
-lots of Chinese-produced Buddhist documentaries on Youtube.
-if you travel to Beijing, you will find numerous restaurants with the "Halal" sign, so there is a significant Muslim population in the heart of China
-I guess it's pretty well-known Christianity is booming in China.

Is there government control? Definitely, but is there a country that does not? Controls will be in place when the government deems subversive elements are being spread. Thailand has it. Sri Lanka has it. In the case of like Hong Kong, there is for e.g a video of Christians going round calling for the death of policemen, using vulgarities. If I remember, the Bishop of HK came out in support of protests. This is highly unusual. I wonder if he had the authorisation of the Vatican. Usually, an entire body of Catholics do not come out to support something without authorisation from higher up the religious hierarchy.

No, I am not mainland Chinese, though I am ethnically Chinese. I am three-generations removed from that country. I do not want politics to be dragged into my posts. I only present my point of view. I will not comment further on this issue. Feel free to disregard everything I said.
form

Post by form »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 am How about where this documentary was filmed in Zhongnan Mountains, Shaanxi Province.
Many of these are not Buddhist.