Where in china to meditate?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bazzaman

Re: Where in china to meditate?

Post by bazzaman »

If you are looking for a good place to do your own practice then I think there might be many places. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a good teacher in the Theravada tradition then might I suggest U Mahinda.
Sorry, I don't have any information as to his location. Also don't know if you speak Chinese. But I think he does speak English.
Atāṇo loko anabhissaro...

Yena yena hi maññanti tato taṃ hoti aññathā,
eto

Post by eto »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:05 am
Damian V wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:09 pm www.dhamma.org there are 5 big Vipassana centres in China unfortunately they are only open to Chinese nationals, Hong Kong has a centre open to everyone
Five! That's pretty good. I wonder how they got approved by the government, China seems pretty serious about restricting religion.
Not mainland china. Just Hong Kong and Taiwan. I've heard of some kind of hidden ones on the downlow but other than that, nothing official.
eto

Post by eto »

eto wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:47 pm
JamesTheGiant wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:05 am
Damian V wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:09 pm www.dhamma.org there are 5 big Vipassana centres in China unfortunately they are only open to Chinese nationals, Hong Kong has a centre open to everyone
Five! That's pretty good. I wonder how they got approved by the government, China seems pretty serious about restricting religion.
atipattoh

Post by atipattoh »

bazzaman wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:16 am
If Bhante Mahinda is in China, he is probably in this monastery that assaji introduces and eto already responded to the post.
玛欣德尊者: 云南省佛教协会常务理事、西双版纳法住禅林僧团导师
Bhante Mahinda is the meditation teacher for the bhikkhus there.
If I'm not mistaken, as i heard, only China origin can be enrolled for a retreat there; not sure if there is any changes.
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

eto wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:47 pm Not mainland china. Just Hong Kong and Taiwan. I've heard of some kind of hidden ones on the downlow but other than that, nothing official.
Hong Kong:
https://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/1882-hong-kong

Taiwan:
https://www.dhamma.ru/sadhu/169-taiwan
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i suggest on a comfortable chair or cross-legged on the floor