Nyanamoli Thera

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
woodsman

Re: Nyanamoli Thera

Post by woodsman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:08 am
woodsman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:04 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:49 am I don't get it
Ok, I'll play 🙄

So there's no trail of teachings regarding following the breath at the nose in order to evoke a sufficient amount of concentration that may or may not induce Jhana, the purpose of which is to focus on the inherent nature of phenomena using a subtle and undistracted mind?

Historically this has not been taught no?
You will find it in the Vibangha (roughly 250 B.C. or 150 years after the Buddha’s final Nibbana). I believe the Sarvāstivādins also taught the same, since they have an equivalent to the Vibangha. SuttaCentral isn’t working atm, but I’ll quote it soon.
That's my point. So why do some either avoid teaching this or teach that it's wrong?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:49 am I don't get it
Ok, I'll play 🙄

So there's no trail of teachings regarding following the breath at the nose in order to evoke a sufficient amount of concentration that may or may not induce Jhana, the purpose of which is to focus on the inherent nature of phenomena using a subtle and undistracted mind?

You don’t get to Jhana by focusing on the inherent nature of dhammas. That’s generates insight. You get to Jhana by focusing upon a concept, which leads to absorption into 1 perceptual/conceptual image.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

woodsman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 am

Ok, I'll play 🙄

You will find it in the Vibangha (roughly 250 B.C. or 150 years after the Buddha’s final Nibbana). I believe the Sarvāstivādins also taught the same, since they have an equivalent to the Vibangha. SuttaCentral isn’t working atm, but I’ll quote it soon.
That's my point. So why do some either avoid teaching this or teach that it's wrong?
Some argue that “parimukkham” is better translated as “bringing mindfulness to the fore”. The Visuddhimagga recognises both interpretations, as does the Paṭisambhidāmagga if I recall correctly.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

woodsman wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:09 am

Ok, I'll play 🙄

I edited my first post. It now has the quote and link.