How long it takes for you to meditate

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
auto

How long it takes for you to meditate

Post by auto »

how long it takes for you to meditate..
to reach the point you feel difficult to continue and want to quit meditation?
Do you come aware of that state and thus able to sit longer?
Then how many times you can overcome this hurdle per meditation session?
How long is your session?

Showing that the meditation is not fun and is quite difficult to maintain. The mental concomitant or feeling is difficult and is related to different kinds of sensual objects(what act as supports or are connected to the mental things what otherwise won't arise because mind not purified and developed enough, is not wide enough to be able to sense what needs to be arisen). It takes long time before can even see the distinction between sensual object and what arises mentally.
Spiny Norman

Re: How long it takes for you to meditate

Post by Spiny Norman »

auto wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:57 pm how long it takes for you to meditate..
to reach the point you feel difficult to continue and want to quit meditation?
Do you come aware of that state and thus able to sit longer?
Then how many times you can overcome this hurdle per meditation session?
How long is your session?

Showing that the meditation is not fun and is quite difficult to maintain. The mental concomitant or feeling is difficult and is related to different kinds of sensual objects(what act as supports or are connected to the mental things what otherwise won't arise because mind not purified and developed enough, is not wide enough to be able to sense what needs to be arisen). It takes long time before can even see the distinction between sensual object and what arises mentally.
You can switch to a meditative state at the flip of a switch, if you know what you're doing.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Good OP question.
I have resistance to meditation.
So I use this video with bell-ringing every five minutes to remind me that I am meditating. :rolleye:
I am using this at the beginning of this year and my meditation improved substantially, as it forced you to stay at least one hour.
I found after one hour I want to stay longer. :D

I still think meditation is one of my household chores :tantrum: .
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
auto

Post by auto »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:51 pm You can switch to a meditative state at the flip of a switch, if you know what you're doing.
For sure, but how long it takes to be in that meditative state till you want do something else?
auto

Post by auto »

SarathW wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:58 am So I use this video with bell-ringing every five minutes to remind me that I am meditating.
That is a physical support, eventually you can notice mental thing before you hear bell ringing. And you can focus on that mental thing and then you can also call it out(to arise) - It is a learning sign by then.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

I almost always sit for an hour. Usually, around the 45 minute mark, I get a mild craving to get up and shut off my timer and do something related to sense pleasure.

I notice the craving, I look for any tension or tightness in my body (mostly in my chest) and then release the thought component of the craving, and it's usually completely gone within about ten seconds. peace,
auto

Post by auto »

chrismc wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:59 pm I almost always sit for an hour. Usually, around the 45 minute mark, I get a mild craving to get up and shut off my timer and do something related to sense pleasure.

I notice the craving, I look for any tension or tightness in my body (mostly in my chest) and then release the thought component of the craving, and it's usually completely gone within about ten seconds. peace,
Thanks for the on point input.

In my case once the difficult part arises(when i want to quit practice) the meditation starts, as of finding solutions for this problem. The time really doesn't matter at this point, only how many times i have defeated the difficult part since there seem to be counter for something great to happen and the more i can do with one session the faster i get there.
Later i can recall or bring out this difficult issue(what forces people to quit). Also i think this difficult feeling is the cause why amongst jews and christians there is an opinion that the meditation is from Satan.