Which Paritta(Protection suttas ) do I need to learn for safety.

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Hari46

Which Paritta(Protection suttas ) do I need to learn for safety.

Post by Hari46 »

Metta to all🙏
I've learnt Goenkaji Vipassana and I want to progess with the help of this technique but have found out some people end up in difficult situations , looking for solutions I've found out that people who listened regularly/byhearted the praitta (protection suttas) before entering deep practice have avoided difficult situations and some of them when faced with situations which feels like they are going crazy the paritta rise up to mind by themselves and help the meditatior regain composure.

Can anyone list/share what Paritta(protection sutta) should I learn/byheart and where can I find the correct ones , any links will be helpful or if any book.

Metta🙏
SarathW

Re: Which Paritta(Protection suttas ) do I need to learn for safety.

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

Thankyou
Can I learn the paritta by myself or should it be learnt with the teacher.
Metta
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

In terms of psychological protection, best to have a forest monastic meditation teacher.

Some simple tips: don't use will power, brute force, controlling mindset in meditation. Those are not the methods of meditation, even if some teachers uses these languages as goal language.

The paritta suttas are more for external protections, eg. going to the forest, protect from wild beast, scorpions, spiders etc. The Buddha already taught them, so I don't see the need for a teacher to chant the parritas on your own.
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

Thankyou
Metta🙏
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hari46 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am Thankyou
Metta
You can learn them by yourself. You will find the Pali Texts, Translations, and links to YouTube videos on my Paritta Suttas pages.

It may take some time to learn each discourse by heart. Start with the Metta Sutta, then the Khandha or Bojjhanga Sutta.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:49 am
Hari46 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:49 am Thankyou
Metta
You can learn them by yourself. You will find the Pali Texts, Translations, and links to YouTube videos on my Paritta Suttas pages.

It may take some time to learn each discourse by heart. Start with the Metta Sutta, then the Khandha or Bojjhanga Sutta.

Thankyou bhante
What can I do for psychological protection
Metta 🙏
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

“Dhammo have rakkhati dhammacārī,
Dhammo suciṇṇo sukhamāvahati,
Esānisaṃso dhamme suciṇṇe,
Na duggati gacchati dhammacārī.”
(Mahādhammapāla Jātakaṃ v 102)
Dhammo: virtuous conduct; dhammacārī: one who practises the dhamma; have: indeed rakkhati: takes care of, guards.

Dhamma takes care of the person who practises it. It does not take care of the person who does not practise it; it only takes care of the person who practises it.

Suciṇṇo: properly practised; dhammo; sukhaṃ: happiness, well-being; āvahati: brings

Properly practised, Dhamma brings happiness to the person who practises it.
Dhammacārī: one who practises the dhamma; duggati: bad destination, miserable realms; nagacchati: does not go, is not reborn; esa: this; dhamme suciṇṇe: properly practised dhamma, virtuous conduct; anisaṃso: benefit

One who practises the Dhamma properly does not go to bad destinations.

Virtuous conduct comprises morality, (sīla), concentration (samādhi) and wisdom (paññā).
Performing good deeds is moral con­duct. If one performs good deeds, the practice of those good deeds takes care of the person who performs them. It enables one to have one’s wishes fulfilled. It also protects one from being reborn in bad destinations. This is the benefit of well practised Dhamma. So, good conduct is very important.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

Thankyou bhante
Metta🙏
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:35 pm
“Dhammo have rakkhati dhammacārī,
Dhammo suciṇṇo sukhamāvahati,
Esānisaṃso dhamme suciṇṇe,
Na duggati gacchati dhammacārī.”
(Mahādhammapāla Jātakaṃ v 102)
Dhammo: virtuous conduct; dhammacārī: one who practises the dhamma; have: indeed rakkhati: takes care of, guards.

Dhamma takes care of the person who practises it. It does not take care of the person who does not practise it; it only takes care of the person who practises it.

Suciṇṇo: properly practised; dhammo; sukhaṃ: happiness, well-being; āvahati: brings

Properly practised, Dhamma brings happiness to the person who practises it.
Dhammacārī: one who practises the dhamma; duggati: bad destination, miserable realms; nagacchati: does not go, is not reborn; esa: this; dhamme suciṇṇe: properly practised dhamma, virtuous conduct; anisaṃso: benefit

One who practises the Dhamma properly does not go to bad destinations.

Virtuous conduct comprises morality, (sīla), concentration (samādhi) and wisdom (paññā).
Performing good deeds is moral con­duct. If one performs good deeds, the practice of those good deeds takes care of the person who performs them. It enables one to have one’s wishes fulfilled. It also protects one from being reborn in bad destinations. This is the benefit of well practised Dhamma. So, good conduct is very important.

🙏 Bhante

Thankyou very much metta🙏
I am feeling recently that dry insight is not my cup of tea,
I need to develop jhana before insight as Buddha gave different ways for different people (I am getting fear/anxiety unnecessarily the more I practice )
I am unable to develop tranquility with equanimity as base
I think I need to develop tranquility as my base and then try insight

Can you help me please ,can you please suggest where I can learn jhana first apporch before insight (is there any retreat like Goenka ji's who teach jhana before insight)

🙏