Phycological protection / chant / long term practice

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Hari46

Phycological protection / chant / long term practice

Post by Hari46 »

Metta to all
Learnt Goenkaji style Vipassana , have been practising for some time now.
My question
1. Is there any chant /anything to be learnt for psychological protection and too deal with difficult situations.

I had thought praitta protects but I came to know by reply on another thread that there are different views about it,
Some say it works and some say only works for physical protection like with animals.
Before practising for long hours I wanted to make sure I am doing things in a correct way.
🙏
DiamondNgXZ

Re: Phycological protection / chant / long term practice

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Hari46 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:07 pm Metta to all
My question
1. Is there any chant /anything to be learnt for psychological protection and too deal with difficult situations.

I had thought praitta protects but I came to know by reply on another thread that there are different views about it,
Some say it works and some say only works for physical protection like with animals.
Before practising for long hours I wanted to make sure I am doing things in a correct way.
🙏
Just keep on learning, read the suttas, ask teachers. This forum seems like a good place. If possible, go face to face with a good forest monastic to ask about meditation.

One tip is also not to worry. Especially after I see Ajahn Brahm meditationr retreats on youtube. Usually it's those who are stubborn, who uses force, who doesn't have full right view on how to meditate properly are the ones who gets into trouble. Meditation is relax to the Max.

Also Sayadaw U Tejaniya's 23 right attitudes is very helpful.

On Metta chanting, that can serve as psychological protection, provided you also know the meaning and actually practise to cultivate the loving kindness attitude within yourself. Towards yourself as well. Be kind, be gentle, making peace. This is the positive way of right thoughts, framed by Ajahn Brahm.
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:37 am
My question

🙏
Just keep on learning, read the suttas, ask teachers. This forum seems like a good place. If possible, go face to face with a good forest monastic to ask about meditation.

One tip is also not to worry. Especially after I see Ajahn Brahm meditationr retreats on youtube. Usually it's those who are stubborn, who uses force, who doesn't have full right view on how to meditate properly are the ones who gets into trouble. Meditation is relax to the Max.

On Metta chanting, that can serve as psychological protection, provided you also know the meaning and actually practise to cultivate the loving kindness attitude within yourself. Towards yourself as well. Be kind, be gentle, making peace. This is the positive way of right thoughts, framed by Ajahn Brahm.

Thankyou very much metta🙏
I am feeling recently that dry insight is not my cup of tea,
I need to develop jhana before insight as Buddha gave different ways for different people (I am getting fear/anxiety unnecessarily the more I practice )
I am unable to develop tranquility with equanimity as base
I think I need to develop tranquility as my base and the try insight

I'll also ask this question in a seperate thread
But if you can help me can you please suggest where I can learn jhana first apporch before insight (is there any retreat like Goenka ji's who teach jhana before insight)
🙏
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Hari46 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:01 am
My question

🙏

I need to develop jhana before insight as Buddha gave different ways for different people (I am getting fear/anxiety unnecessarily the more I practice )

But if you can help me can you please suggest where I can learn jhana first apporch before insight (is there any retreat like Goenka ji's who teach jhana before insight)
🙏
Ajahn Brahm and Pa Auk are the 2 famous teachers who teaches Jhanas. Anyway, if you do vipassana correctly, you should be able to just watch anxiety. I learnt from Sayadaw U Tejaniya. I recommend Ajahn Brahm the best. You should be able to google/Youtube all their teachings. Youtube Ajahn Brahm meditation retreat.
Hari46

Post by Hari46 »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:16 am
Hari46 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:01 am

🙏
Ajahn Brahm and Pa Auk are the 2 famous teachers who teaches Jhanas. Anyway, if you do vipassana correctly, you should be able to just watch anxiety. I learnt from Sayadaw U Tejaniya. I recommend Ajahn Brahm the best. You should be able to google/Youtube all their teachings. Youtube Ajahn Brahm meditation retreat.

Thankyou metta🙏
I am looking into Ajahn Brahm videos, is there anywhere in India where I can learn jhana approach before insight.
🙏
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Search for Pa-Auk meditation centres, they have branches internationally. Anyway, after covid 19, you can travel. Also google up more people. There's also other teachers of Jhanas, or just search this forum for Jhanas.