Difficulties with Metta meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
boldnesz

Difficulties with Metta meditation

Post by boldnesz »

Hi guys,

I had a hard time practicing Metta meditation. I just need some help to know if it's the good way to go.

I tried many meditation techniques found on the internet and books about metta (theravada tradition). At the start it was very hard to get the feeling of loving-kindness rise. Sometimes I could get a bit of it but as soon as it appears it disappeared.

Then I tried something softer to get the feeling rise and started watching videos on YouTube about acts of kindness and compassion and after that, I found it way easier to cultivate the feeling for all beings.

I don't know if it's the right way to go but it seems to be working.

I just needed some feedback from you guys to know how you get this feeling rise.

Metta 🙏
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Difficulties with Metta meditation

Post by Sam Vara »

Your approach sounds fine to me. If it works, then go with it. The Buddha didn't say much about how one is actually to generate metta, so we have to use our own resources here.

Several monks teach it by starting off with feelings of love for a puppy or a kitten! Another good method is to walk (preferably in nature) and to be aware of the breathing; on every in-breath think of love or health or blessings coming to you, and on every out-breath think of them going out to everything you see. It seems to set up a feeling of well-being and friendliness in the background, which then helps the formal sitting.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Metta isn't focusing on generating positive feelings it's about making intentions. Feelings or no feelings it's the intention that is what your after. Don't focus on the result. And don't try to force any emotions to come up. Sharon salzberg is like the queen of metta teachings.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
boldnesz

Post by boldnesz »

Thank you very much 🙏