How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Asahavey17

How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?

Post by Asahavey17 »

I cant always see all of it!

Its quite hard to just be aware of it. You see some or alot of it but then there's more you dont see and that gets you when you cant see it.

So I presume the solution is see it all better? Any tips in order ot be able to do that?
un8-

Re: How to better see whats going on in my unconscious?

Post by un8- »

You can't.. that's why it's unconscious. If you could see it, it wouldn't be unconscious.

You could maybe catch yourself acting out of habit, but that's not unconscious, that's just being unaware/unmindful/impulsive.

You should focus on thoughts and intentions as they precede actions, that way you can catch before you act.
There is only one battle that could be won, and that is the battle against the 3 poisons. Any other battle is a guaranteed loss because you're going to die either way.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Satipathana help you to understand the nature of your deepest mind.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Asahavey17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:42 pm I cant always see all of it!

Its quite hard to just be aware of it. You see some or alot of it but then there's more you dont see and that gets you when you cant see it.

So I presume the solution is see it all better? Any tips in order ot be able to do that?
Set goals and limits and maintain increased discipline in different areas. The monastic code is a lot about surfacing the unconscious to work with it.
The unconscious surfaces when it meets resistance. Without resistance it doesn't show itself, like water crashing against a dam then only you see it's force as it foams up.
For example limit your meal portions and eat mindfully and slowly, chewing only one mouthful at a time. The desire to eat more and faster arises which is greed surfacing. You can then subdue it.
Similarly, practice Dana and generosity and you will see your defilements of stinginess and attachment surface to work through.
Try to meditate for a bit longer and the unconscious resistance will surface as laziness, excuses etc. Then you can work with it and change your mindset and to be able to practice more.

So setting goals and limits is the primary dhamma means of surfacing the unconscious.

As the Buddha said, he recollected his many fortunate past lives and recalled it was due to three things; self development, refraining, and generosity. This was his good Kamma and how he gradually uprooted unconscious defilements from his being.

More subtle unconscious tendencies will be uprooted as your meditation progresses and your level of practice of Dana, Sila, Bhavana increases.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Asahavey17 wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:42 pm I cant always see all of it!

Try to see that the distinction between waking life and a dream is not as solid as you believe it to be.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Excuse me, no qualms intended. I think in abhidhamma there is no subconscious or even unconscious among the living sentient beings. Please try to clarify your question if possible and have many pleasant days.
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

Nobodyisspecial wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:39 pm Excuse me, no qualms intended. I think in abhidhamma there is no subconscious or even unconscious among the living sentient beings. Please try to clarify your question if possible and have many pleasant days.
I don't know about abhidhamma but for the dhamma in the suttas working with the unconscious is frequently discussed and is central to the teaching.

The unconscious is basically what is referred to as kleshas in the Pali Canon.

As to the concept of the 'superconscious' or universal consciousness it can be inferred to exist in the workings of kamma across the personalities and in relationship to other living beings.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Cause_and_Effect wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 pm the dhamma in the suttas working with the unconscious is frequently discussed and is central to the teaching.
where? thanks. :thanks:
Cause_and_Effect wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:13 pmThe unconscious is basically what is referred to as kleshas in the Pali Canon.
the Pali Canon contains the term "kilesa", which refer to "greed, hatred & delusion" rather than to "the unconscious".
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

If you want to hear and listen to more subtle sounds, you have to keep exceedingly quiet and observant, much more so than usual.