KN Snp 5.14 famous verse on using four jhanas to realize nirvana

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
frank k

Post by frank k »

http://notesonthedhamma.blogspot.com/20 ... -four.html

This sutta contains a famous verse on using four jhanas to realize nirvana.

But you wouldn't know that if you read most translations. For example, here is B. Bodhi's, followed by mine:
www.lucid24.org/sted : ☸Lucid24.org🐘 STED definitions
www.audtip.org/audtip: 🎙️🔊Audio Tales in Pāli: ☸Dharma and Vinaya in many languages
Nobodyisspecial

Re: KN Snp 5.14 famous verse on using four jhanas to realize nirvana

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

Thank you for your translation. I am familiar with Bhikkhu Bodhi and his translation of the suttanipata. I am pretty sure that is what you are quoting and translating. His translation if familiar. You translation sounds more abhidhamma influenced. I am not really sure but I am very impressed if you translate Pali. I hear the palitext society has much canon parts not translated yet? But I am going to say the fourth jhana is pretty much the same as all the jhanas that are 5th, 6, 7, 8 th jhana. In the sense of equanimity and absorption.

Nibbana is described good in the path of purification. It's all just states of letting go of attachments and at the same time arriving at salvation. Right?
form

Re: KN Snp 5.14 famous verse on using four jhanas to realize nirvana

Post by form »

Wow. I look through the two translations once and I can't tell any difference.