Kuti/Meditation Hut for Rent?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Nick2727

Kuti/Meditation Hut for Rent?

Post by Nick2727 »

Not sure if this is the right place to post, but does anyone have any knowledge on a kuti or solitary retreat hut here in the US? Ideally something near the midwest and not too expensive. When I googled retreat huts in my area there was some great options, although it was almost $100 a night which seemed a bit pricey. If anyone is aware of places that accept lay people for a few days, please let me know!
BKh

Re: Kuti/Meditation Hut for Rent?

Post by BKh »

Are you just interested in spending time at a monastery? Or are you hoping to have a quite personal space where you do your own thing? Because they will be very different in terms of options. The first is usually free. The second you just would need to rent a cabin somewhere and make your own food.

Or are you looking for something in between, where it would be a cabin in a monastery where you were given food but you just did your own thing? That will be harder to find and will either cost money, or would be something that a monastery offered to you after they had a relationship with you. A cabin in a "retreat center" would surely cost money, and 100$ sounds about right if the food is provided.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
samseva

Post by samseva »

There are likely monasteries and meditation centers close by or at a driving distance from where you live. Some will have both communal dormitories and group meditation, while others might offer a small 1-person room for sleeping (and also to meditate). And like mentioned above, having food provided is a significant benefit. While small separate meditation huts and kutis are common in Southeast Asia, in the West, they are usually built for monks. Even if you end up with a separate and well-maintained kuti in a monastery in SEA, it is somewhat of a luxury.

Most important thing is meditating. If you can develop the skill of being able to meditate anywhere, no matter the conditions, then this is definately a good thing. :smile:
Nick2727

Post by Nick2727 »

BKh wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:18 pm Are you just interested in spending time at a monastery? Or are you hoping to have a quite personal space where you do your own thing? Because they will be very different in terms of options. The first is usually free. The second you just would need to rent a cabin somewhere and make your own food.

Or are you looking for something in between, where it would be a cabin in a monastery where you were given food but you just did your own thing? That will be harder to find and will either cost money, or would be something that a monastery offered to you after they had a relationship with you. A cabin in a "retreat center" would surely cost money, and 100$ sounds about right if the food is provided.
I am interested in spending time alone and doing my own thing. I would not mind if it was associated with a monastery, but I am mainly interested in using it for practice alone. Bringing my own food is no problem, mostly just looking for a place that will not be busy or having people visit constantly so I will be able to focus on practice. Camping is an idea I thought of since a cheap campsite could work, although I know it could be busy or noisy at times.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I know someone who meditates onboard an old trailer-yacht, anchored on a backwater. Total solitude, little cabin for sleeping. He got it for $20 I think. It doesn't have a mast anymore, and only manages about 2 knots with a tiny outboard.

Do the parks nearby you allow wild camping? Or are there cabins you could rent in a national park?
DiamondNgXZ

Post by DiamondNgXZ »

Nick2727 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:44 am
BKh wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:18 pm Are you just interested in spending time at a monastery? Or are you hoping to have a quite personal space where you do your own thing? Because they will be very different in terms of options. The first is usually free. The second you just would need to rent a cabin somewhere and make your own food.

I am interested in spending time alone and doing my own thing. I would not mind if it was associated with a monastery, but I am mainly interested in using it for practice alone. Bringing my own food is no problem, mostly just looking for a place that will not be busy or having people visit constantly so I will be able to focus on practice. Camping is an idea I thought of since a cheap campsite could work, although I know it could be busy or noisy at times.
If you live alone, you can just unplug the internet and enjoy your bed.
BKh

Post by BKh »

Nick2727 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:44 am I am interested in spending time alone and doing my own thing.
Then you will probably find more success going on airb&b rather than asking on a global Buddhist form, since you aren't actually looking for something Buddhist. There are probably people renting out cabins close to where you are.
| One sutta per day to your inbox | ReadingFaithfully.org Support for reading the Suttas | Citation lookup helper | Instant sutta name lookup | Instant PED lookup | Instant DPPN lookup |
Nick2727

Post by Nick2727 »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:33 am I know someone who meditates onboard an old trailer-yacht, anchored on a backwater. Total solitude, little cabin for sleeping. He got it for $20 I think. It doesn't have a mast anymore, and only manages about 2 knots with a tiny outboard.

Do the parks nearby you allow wild camping? Or are there cabins you could rent in a national park?
The parks do not allow wild camping sadly. There are local campsites that have space for camping which I have thought of, they even have a few small individual cabins, but they are extremely pricey.
Nick2727

Post by Nick2727 »

DiamondNgXZ wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:37 am
Nick2727 wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:44 am

If you live alone, you can just unplug the internet and enjoy your bed.
I have tried this previously, although living with family, dogs and grandparents we take care of can be slightly disruptive. Still good for practice, but the last few times I had to come and help with different things around the house which made me think finding a small cabin or hut nearby could be a great options for a few days.