Feeling of falling during meditation

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
auto

Re: Feeling of falling during meditation

Post by auto »

SarathW wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:08 am Yes, it is a common experience.
Keep your eyes open if you want to avoid this.
This is sort of you are going to a sleep mode.
when to drink lot of alcohol, then laying on the back and closing eyes can be a very intense version of falling what just keeps going and going. Keeping the eyes open is a good advice.
bodom

Post by bodom »

auto wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:39 pm
bodom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:40 pm ..
why remove feedback of comments made, is that not allowed(to give feedback)?
might want to read from visuddhimagga how meditation objects are received?
When you call someone's contributions "pure trash" and someone else's understanding of things a "noob" then those those types of comments will be removed. Stay on topic and mindful of the TOS and your posts will not be removed.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

..might want to read from visuddhimagga how meditation objects are received?
And FYI not everyone on here adheres to the Visuddhimagga's interpretation of things.

Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
auto

Post by auto »

bodom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:29 pm
..might want to read from visuddhimagga how meditation objects are received?
And FYI not everyone on here adheres to the Visuddhimagga's interpretation of things.

Understood.
Visuddhimagga adheres think meditation is about watching some sense organ object or if it is vipassana then noting everything what is at the sense doors.
I think most known traditions are affected by this way of doing things. It reflects from the responses and quotes.
auto

Post by auto »

bodom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:27 pm
When you call someone's contributions "pure trash" and someone else's understanding of things a "noob" then those those types of comments will be removed. Stay on topic and mindful of the TOS and your posts will not be removed.

I was trolling, sorry, but didn't knew at the time of posting.
bodom

Post by bodom »

auto wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:49 pm
bodom wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:27 pm

I was trolling, sorry, but didn't knew at the time of posting.
Thank you for your honesty. ❤️

- BB
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

it has been many years since i have been on a rollercoaster but I used to enjoy them. I have not experienced virtual reality yet, maybe some day.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i also frequently get the sensation of my torso elongating and my hands feeling enormous. I actually find it enjoyable when it happens
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

auto wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:35 pm
TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:47 am This is a common experience. Just ignore it and continue observing your object of meditation. Itll eventually go away. This has happened to me many times. If you try to stop or interrupt it like opening your eyes it doesnt do anything for your progress. The falling sensation is a normal stage from what ive seen and if you just keep doing what your doing the stage will pass. Just let it be.
so you are not surpassing that phase or stage and prolly haven't touched the skill of fabrication due no good instructions or pointers
I should specify. I have had the experience multiple times, but that is because my serious meditation practice is on and off. During periods I meditate intensely (a few hours a day) i get the falling experience and the stage just passes and goes away for the remainder of the time im sticking to a serious meditation routine. However if i stop meditating seriously for a while, i revert back to the earlier stages. Thus i face the falling experience stage again the next time i decide to go to a period of meditating intensely for a few weeks or going on a retreat etc. This was my own fault for not specifying as i realize its confusing for me to say ive had the experience multiple times and also say it passes.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

PROBLEM 3: ODD SENSATIONS

People experience all manner of varied phenomena in meditation. Some people get itches. Others feel tingling, deep relaxation, a feeling of lightness, or a floating sensation. You may feel yourself growing or shrinking or rising up in the air. Beginners often get quite excited over such sensations. Don’t worry, you are not likely to levitate any time soon. As relaxation sets in, the nervous system simply begins to pass sensory signals more efficiently. Large amounts of previously blocked sensory data can pour through, giving rise to all kinds of unique sensations. It does not signify anything in particular. It is just sensation. So simply employ the normal technique. Watch it come up and watch it pass away. Don’t get involved.
This is basically what i was trying to say in my first post on this thread. Far more elegant than how i phrased it.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
auto

Post by auto »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:12 pm .
Quite standard explanation. Not your fault. I am often a rude person.
bodom

Post by bodom »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 pm
PROBLEM 3: ODD SENSATIONS

People experience all manner of varied phenomena in meditation. Some people get itches. Others feel tingling, deep relaxation, a feeling of lightness, or a floating sensation. You may feel yourself growing or shrinking or rising up in the air. Beginners often get quite excited over such sensations. Don’t worry, you are not likely to levitate any time soon. As relaxation sets in, the nervous system simply begins to pass sensory signals more efficiently. Large amounts of previously blocked sensory data can pour through, giving rise to all kinds of unique sensations. It does not signify anything in particular. It is just sensation. So simply employ the normal technique. Watch it come up and watch it pass away. Don’t get involved.
This is basically what i was trying to say in my first post on this thread. Far more elegant than how i phrased it.
Bhante G is gifted in this area no doubt.

- BB