Lay disciple's engaged in meditation practice in the Suttas

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
bodom

Lay disciple's engaged in meditation practice in the Suttas

Post by bodom »

I'm looking to collect Sutta passages that show lay disciple's engaged in the practice of formal meditation.

Here are a few I have come across:
When this was said, Pessa, the elephant driver’s son, said: “It is wonderful, venerable sir, it is marvellous how well the four foundations of mindfulness have been made known by the Blessed One: for the purification of beings, for the surmounting of sorrow and lamentation, for the disappearance of pain and grief, for the attainment of the true way, for the realisation of Nibbāna. For, venerable sir, we white-clothed lay people also from time to time abide with our minds well established in these four foundations of mindfulness. Here, venerable sir, we abide contemplating the body as a body…feelings as feelings…mind as mind…mind-objects as mind-objects, ardent, fully aware, and mindful, having put away covetousness and grief for the world.

-MN 51
Then the householder Anāthapiṇḍika, accompanied by five hundred lay followers, approached the Blessed One, paid homage to him, and sat down to one side. The Blessed One then said to the householder Anāthapiṇḍika [and his retinue]:

“Householders, you have presented robes, almsfood, lodgings, and medicines and provisions for the sick to the Saṅgha of bhikkhus. You should not be content merely with this much, [thinking]: ‘We have presented robes, almsfood, lodgings, and medicines and provisions for the sick to the Saṅgha of bhikkhus.’

Therefore, householders, you should train yourselves thus:

‘How can we from time to time enter and dwell in the rapture of inner meditative seclusion?’

It is in such a way that you should train yourselves.”

AN 5:176
Now on that occasion Nigaṇṭha Nātaputa had arrived at Macchikāsaṇḍa together with a large retinue of nigạ̣has. Citta the householder heard about this and, together with a number of lay followers, approached Nigaṇṭha Nātaputta.He exchanged greetings with Nigaṇṭha Nātaputta and, when they had concluded their greetings and cordial talk, sat down to one side. Nigaṇṭha Nātaputta then said to him: “Householder, do you have faith in the ascetic Gotama when he says: ‘There is a concentration without thought and examination, there is a cessation of thought and examination’?”

“In this matter, venerable sir, I do not go by faith in the Blessed One when he says: ‘There is a concentration without thought and examination, there is a cessation of thought and examination.

’”When this was said, Nigaṇṭha Nātaputta looked up proudly towards his own retinue and said: “See this, sirs! How straightforward is this Citta the householder! How honest and open! One who thinks that thought and examination can be stopped might imagine he could catch the wind in a net or arrest the current of the river Ganges with his own fist.”

“What do you think, venerable sir, which is superior: knowledge or faith?”

“Knowledge, householder, is superior to faith.”

“Well, venerable sir, to whatever extent I wish, secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, I enter and dwell in the first jhāna, which is accompanied by thought and examination, with rapture and happiness born of seclusion. Then, to whatever extent I wish, with the subsiding of thought and examination, I enter and dwell in the second jhāna…. Then, to whatever extent I wish, with the fading away as well of rapture…I enter and dwell in the third jhāna…. Then, to whatever extent I wish, with the abandoning of pleasure and pain…I enter and dwell in the fourth jhāna.“

SN 41:8
“And what is accomplishment in wisdom? [285] Here, a clansman is wise; he possesses the wisdom that discerns arising and passing away, which is noble and penetrative and leads to the complete destruction of suffering. This is called accomplishment in wisdom.

AN 8:54
If anyone has anymore please feel free to post.

Thank you.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
BrokenBones

Re: Lay disciple's engaged in meditation practice in the Suttas

Post by BrokenBones »

Mahanama Sutta: To Mahanama...

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

Upajjhatthana Sutta: Subjects for Contemplation...

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html