jhana Piti lift body?

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
confusedlayman

jhana Piti lift body?

Post by confusedlayman »

is it true jhana Piti in access concentration or 1st Jhana can life the body or is it mind focused on Piti will feel weightless than mind focused on heaviness of body ?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
JamesTheGiant

Re: jhana Piti lift body?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

I've heard a lot of wonderful stories about monks levitating in deep meditation, but I've never heard of anyone who knows anyone directly who has done it.
Just someone, who knows someone, who knows someone, who did it
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:56 am is it true jhana Piti in access concentration or 1st Jhana can life the body or is it mind focused on Piti will feel weightless than mind focused on heaviness of body ?
I believe it can "lift" the body in the sense of making the back and the overall posture straighter; and also in the sense of the meditator experiencing a powerful upward rushing sensation or a feeling of buoyancy. I've attended meditation retreats where people were making little jumping and twitching movements which they claimed to be pīti. It appeared to be "contagious" in that it spread through some of the group. It didn't get to me, though! :weep:
GreyHaven

Post by GreyHaven »

Both; the question is one of magnitude, if you will excuse the use of such an odd term in this context.

The Buddha indicated a great many surprising things can be arisen from deep states of concentration. However, it was also indicated that only one miracle is repeatable, testable, and above all, reliable: that is to say, the attainment that results in the eradication of taints entirely.

Critically, the Final Miracle, as it were, does not come from deep concentration, but from insight, to a mindstream of sufficient prior preparation.

So yes, piti specifically absolutely can lead to that, however, there is absolutely no clear reason why anyone would have that as a goal. Frankly, it seems to fit nicely as a component of the Radiant Ignorance frame of reference spoken of by Ven. Ācariya Mahā Boowa. "Genuine avijja" as he referred to it, the sort experienced when other distractions are quieted, can appear as an immensely beautiful, insightful, and ultimately fruitless thing. Like the countless stories of sages in the desert tempted by devils, avijja clinging to it's final vestiges can reveal so very much in it's death throes. Persist, push through all, for all is empty.

Don't be distracted by parlor tricks :)
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I want to know if its only from first person exp or even from 3rd person exp?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
GreyHaven

Post by GreyHaven »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:43 pm I want to know if its only from first person exp or even from 3rd person exp?
If what is, levitation? No, I have not found any bumps on the top of the head to be a common side effect of first jhana. Perhaps your experience can be different in that respect. Further, it has never been manifested physically by another for viewing, either- probably a strikingly uncommon result these days, I suspect.

That said, the uplifting nature of piti is such that physically floating does not at all seem implausible, just that it would require a great deal further concentration for no real purpose. Humans have invented ladders, after all :)