Epistemologically unprovable

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
Bundokji

Epistemologically unprovable

Post by Bundokji »

Had anyone encountered a method of meditation where an Epistemologically unprovable statement is taken as true? such as a wild idea, or nonsense taken as true because it cannot be falsified?
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Re: Epistemologically unprovable

Post by SarathW »

I think all Samatha and Vipassana meditation is Epistemologically unprovable.
I hope I understood your question.
Say if I tell you that I have attained Arupavara Jhana, how you are going to prove I am wrong?
:shrug:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 am I think all Samatha and Vipassana meditation is Epistemologically unprovable.
Say if I tell you that I have attained Arupavara Jhana, how you are going to prove I am wrong?
I am wondering if the same thing can be said about the three marks of existence. They are neither testable nor falsifiable. In order to test them, you will have to confine "sabba" into a paradigm. In logical terms, they are nonsense. And yet, their truth value seems to be driven by this, that they are unprovable or unfalsifiable.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Bundokji wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:04 pm
SarathW wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:50 am I think all Samatha and Vipassana meditation is Epistemologically unprovable.
I am wondering if the same thing can be said about the three marks of existence. They are neither testable nor falsifiable. In order to test them, you will have to confine "sabba" into a paradigm. In logical terms, they are nonsense. And yet, their truth value seems to be driven by this, that they are unprovable or unfalsifiable.
One might say that the job of testing and falsifying has already been done by the Perfected One, who broke through to reality and therefore didn't have need of a paradigm. We just need to have enough faith to practice in line with what he said.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

What we take as true or real, is a sign of what we identified with(or at). Once the identification stops, it is immediately falsified.

When we practice with 3 marks, it is not about 'all', it is about what we identified with(or as) as of now. Body/feeling/mind/Dhamma via sutta instruction. That is the theme we take on to contemplate. If we think body is real, it is a sign we are identified with the body.

Now, once we disillusioned(aka dis-identified) with(or as) our body, 'Sabba' gonna manifest itself as anicca/anatta.
'sabba' piece is beyond practice as you mentioned. Instead it will come to you.

As if the general is taken down, the army surrounders without further prompt.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:10 pm
One might say that the job of testing and falsifying has already been done by the Perfected One, who broke through to reality and therefore didn't have need of a paradigm. We just need to have enough faith to practice in line with what he said.
Agree.
For many of us things such as rebirth, Kamma Vipaka, 32 planes of existence, etc, are to be taken on faith.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”