Attachment

General discussion of issues related to Theravada Meditation, e.g. meditation postures, developing a regular sitting practice, skillfully relating to difficulties and hindrances, etc.
mgm2010

Attachment

Post by mgm2010 »

"The root of suffering is attachment", so said the Buddha.
Where can I get more material to understand "attachment" ?? Some practical exercises ??
Doubt, worry etc do not bother me.
I am badly stuck at attachment.
I am a non-buddhist house holder.
Jack19990101

Re: Attachment

Post by Jack19990101 »

Try to use non-buddhism term -
Psychologically induced bodily movement or somatic sensation, is attachment.
i.e. anger, strive, motivation, fear, startled, etc.

Even worry is not bothering you psychologically, as it does come with subtle contraction somatically, it is a form of attachment.

There are 4 cases which are exception to this, but it is not important for now.
Last edited by Jack19990101 on Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Are you thinking of sense pleasures? As attachment?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

I consider sensation is a sort of movement.
In this context, i am not thinking of sensual pleasure in particular, but rather what attachment is, being the glue between body and the mind.
Rambutan

Post by Rambutan »

Attachment
Attachments
BB7BEA58-8B5A-4E5C-B188-2ED12408E5F3.jpeg
mgm2010

Post by mgm2010 »

befriend wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:42 pm Are you thinking of sense pleasures? As attachment?
Yes. Very much so. I am a house holder and have children.
Is there any thing I can do to reduce the mental attachment to physical sensual pleasure ??
befriend

Post by befriend »

Consider attachment as addictiveness to sense pleasures. When you have a thought of for example "I really want a cigarette" see how that thought affects your emotional landscape I have noticed when I am craving a cigarette I feel like I'm emotionally on fire it feels metaphorically like hell. The key to renunciation is not just avoiding sense pleasures but actively not wantingd to indulge. renunciation is a form of freedom it's cooling but it won't work if you still want the cigarette. You make a thought in your head that I don't want a cigarette. It's more of an attitude of "id love to not have a cigarette." Buddha refered to the hindrances craving I'll will etc as a debt a bondage. Think about how more free the mind would feel and relaxed you would be. I always feel better when I'm not being greedy minded. non greed is like being released from prison. The benefits are immediate. So you could also experiment with observing mental states what is the mind like when it's greedy? Then what is the mind like when it lets go of greed? Experimenting and comparing these two mind states will clearly show you greed is an emotional fire and renunciation "not wanting" is like a a cool breeze on your spirit. Also reflecting on all damage to yourself an others is only brought on by greed hate and delusion. Look at your life have you ever acted innapropriately because of greed? i know I have.
befriend

Post by befriend »

Greed can also be reduced by being charitable volunteering. Because the energy of giving is the opposite of taking.
Dan74

Post by Dan74 »

mgm2010 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am "The root of suffering is attachment", so said the Buddha.
Where can I get more material to understand "attachment" ?? Some practical exercises ??
Hello mgm2010 :hello:

Perhaps this talk could be relevant:

_/|\_
mgm2010

Post by mgm2010 »

mgm2010 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 am "The root of suffering is attachment", so said the Buddha.
What I am calling "attachment", is it actually a "desire" for sensual pleasure ??
Will its method of handling it then vary ??
Is there any book on Buddhism for House holders ??
mgm2010

Post by mgm2010 »

mgm2010 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:38 am
What I am calling "attachment", is it actually a "desire" for sensual pleasure ??
Will its method of handling it then vary ??
Is there any book on Buddhism for House holders ??
Please use buddhist terminology, if required.
I am trying to study Buddhist Jhanas.