donation to monestry

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

donation to monestry

Post by confusedlayman »

it is true that layperson should donate to monestry that follows all vinaya precept to gain maximum benifit? is it true donation to monks who dont follow precept will lead to asura rebirth instead of devas?

or can i donate to any monestry as long as they accept buddha, dependent origination etc?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
bhante dhamma

Re: donation to monestry

Post by bhante dhamma »

Hi upāsakā, it depends on a few conditions, namely as always your and the others 'cetana-intention,' giving gifts is a practice in itself, or is it? Please see Dakshina vibhanga sutta M 142 & Indriya bhāvanā M 151
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

There is a teaching named "Sanctification of gift", this will clarify your question.
The bottom line is if you are a person with Sila, your donation will bear fruit irrespective of the Sila of the receiver.
However, a person with Sila gives a person with Sila bear more fruit.
https://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.p ... ft#p505593
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
coconut

Post by coconut »

The receiver of the action does matter, see velama sutta. Ideally you want to give to someone with Right View, but the Buddha said even supporting a corrupted sangha with counterfeit dhamma still reaps benefits.

I don't think you can reap bad karma with the intention of helping a human or animal. By helping I mean giving food and resources for shelter/survival. Not aiding a criminal with bad things, obviously.
Last edited by coconut on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Thanks my aim is to support all tradition (theraveda, tibet and mahayana)
coconut

Post by coconut »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:06 am Thanks my aim is to support all tradition (theraveda, tibet and mahayana)
Those are all considered ascetics, and feeding an ascetic gives more merit than feeding a non-ascetic human.

However giving to an ascetic with right view is immeasurable. Again, see velama sutta where the Buddha said in a past life he donated a lot to everyone, but it doesn't compare to feeding one with right view, which doesn't compare to attaining right view yourself.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

coconut wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:10 am
confusedlayman wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:06 am Thanks my aim is to support all tradition (theraveda, tibet and mahayana)
Those are all considered ascetics, and feeding an ascetic gives more merit than feeding a non-ascetic human.

However giving to an ascetic with right view is immeasurable. Again, see velama sutta where the Buddha said in a past life he donated a lot to everyone, but it doesn't compare to feeding one with right view, which doesn't compare to attaining right view yourself.
Thanks im on path to right view
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm it is true that layperson should donate to monestry that follows all vinaya precept to gain maximum benifit? is it true donation to monks who dont follow precept will lead to asura rebirth instead of devas?

or can i donate to any monestry as long as they accept buddha, dependent origination etc?
Giving to the Sangha, even if the recipient is corrupted, still bears immeasurable merit. Giving to the Sangha community is always more fruitful than even the most noble individual. When making an offering try to avoid the mindset of giving to that individual, get into the mindset that you are giving to the whole Sangha community. Even if the individual recieving your offering is corrupted you will still gain immense fruit.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/ ... PJJnQ4Dvvw

Building a monastery however, is even greater than an offering to the Sangha

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
tamdrin

Post by tamdrin »

This is a good aim :anjali:
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:16 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:43 pm it is true that layperson should donate to monestry that follows all vinaya precept to gain maximum benifit? is it true donation to monks who dont follow precept will lead to asura rebirth instead of devas?

Giving to the Sangha, even if the recipient is corrupted, still bears immeasurable merit. Giving to the Sangha community is always more fruitful than even the most noble individual. When making an offering try to avoid the mindset of giving to that individual, get into the mindset that you are giving to the whole Sangha community. Even if the individual recieving your offering is corrupted you will still gain immense fruit.

https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/ ... PJJnQ4Dvvw

Building a monastery however, is even greater than an offering to the Sangha

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Thanks.. i give with good mindset only