kill cockroach

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

kill cockroach

Post by confusedlayman »

guys ,

today in some toilet hole, we put anti-cockroach spray and some coackroach died by it, some were beaten by stick when they came in to bedroom.

did we (me and family members) break 1st precept?

i didnt kill but i told one member to spray it in bathroom eventhough i dont know that it will kill, i thought it will just stop cockroach from coming .. however i am aware after I told to spray and its already done.

if radiating metta will give any hope?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: kill cockroach

Post by Sam Vara »

confusedlayman wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:19 pm guys ,

today in some toilet hole, we put anti-cockroach spray and some coackroach died by it, some were beaten by stick when they came in to bedroom.

i didnt kill but i told one member to spray it in bathroom eventhough i dont know that it will kill, i thought it will just stop cockroach from coming .. however i am aware after I told to spray and its already done.

I think that if you deliberately act to kill something, and it dies, then you have technically broken the first precept; the same applies if you instruct someone to do something that you know will result in death.

If you live where there are cockroaches and they frequent the toilet-hole, then that sounds like a serious health problem. I'm not saying that you should kill them (and I'm sure someone will come along soon and share their non-lethal approach to dealing with them) but what choice do you have?

You seem to get quite intense and anxious about things, so my advice is to practice developing metta, and if you think about having killed them, dwell on your good intentions in attempting to rid your family of a nasty hazard.

Don't worry, be happy! :anjali:
polaris

Post by polaris »

I don't think you really have a choice. Unless you want the whole house over run by cockroaches . They breed very fast and in large numbers. They will climb on to your face in your bedroom when you sleep. How do you feel about that?
I have no answer to the karmic theory in this case. But if you kill a cat or a dog or monkey then I really think it would be very bad karma,because these animals are conscious of you killing them, their intelligence are much higher than an insect.
santa100

Post by santa100 »

confusedlayman wrote:i didnt kill but i told one member to spray it in bathroom eventhough i dont know that it will kill, i thought it will just stop cockroach from coming .. however i am aware after I told to spray and its already done.
It's important to take care of the root cause to your cockroach issue. For if you only resort to killing them, as long as the favorable conditions for their dwelling exist, they'll keep coming back. So, try to frequently clean the house, kitchen, bathroom, etc., keep them well-ventilated so the air isn't damp and humid, always clean up after meals and not to leave any traces of food like bread crumb, spilled sugar, etc. Also try those herbs that are Natural roach repellents. Stick to these common-sense practices and you won't have to worry about killing cockroaches again and again in the future.
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

Yes. Cockroaches have prana, they are alive. Setting down poison is also breaking 1st virtue. Because your intention is to kill them. It seems to be death by negligence. You should have checked to poison more carefully to see if it was really lethal or not. It's understood that poison kills, you should have known this. You can't change the past. Just make a determination not to do this again in the future. You should practice kindness at all times for all beings. This is the Buddha's teaching.
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

This is a headache , i have big headache worse dilemma than you , that is termite and they never go away . But try your best to keep your house tidy and clean , you dont have to kill cockroach , i always catch them and release them outside although is troublesome . But termite is unavoidable unfortunately .
You always gain by giving
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

Using anti-cockroach spray (contains poison),
This is u want to kill cockroach.
If cockroach ded, u break first precept.

Just use dustpan n broom n throw that monster.
Or using essential oils or put sweet food,
And use dustpan n broom, throw that monster
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."