Abortion

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
suriyopama

Re: Abortion

Post by suriyopama »

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I was in a retreat with Ajahn Brahm where he said that a consciousness cannot enter into a womb until the fetus has developed a centralized nervous system that can host a sentient being. Meaning that during the first weeks you are not killing any sentient being, only a group of cells.

"Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... ess-arise/

I guess that (this was not said by Ajahn Brahm) one or more to-be-born consciousness could be dwelling around the womb before that complex nervous system is developed, but that would be like a consciousness that is dwelling at one of these Thai supernatural dolls (Luk Thep), or at a Thai spirit house (San Phra Phum), or at any other object. If you destroy that object you may chase away or anger these spirits, but you are not breaking the first precept by taking the life of a sentient being.

Anyway, as the Metta Sutta says, let's spread goodwill to the seen and the unseen, to those living near and far away, to those born and to-be-born.
asahi

Re: Abortion

Post by asahi »

suriyopama wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:26 am I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but I was in a retreat with Ajahn Brahm where he said that a consciousness cannot enter into a womb until the fetus has developed a centralized nervous system that can host a sentient being. Meaning that during the first weeks you are not killing any sentient being, only a group of cells.
First above theory could be wrong , it may not be vinnana that enter the womb .
Following above logics , if a living being as fetus already started taken place and you destroy it , this life would prematurely ended by cutting it off from it courses ! :thinking:
Peace is more precious than triumph