the ethics of lay teachers who charge money

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
SarathW

Re: the ethics of lay teachers who charge money

Post by SarathW »

I have mentioned before, there is no problem lay people are charging to teach Dhamma provided they teach the true Dhamma.
Lay Dhamma teachers have to make a living too.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
48vows

Post by 48vows »

because the so called “dharma” being taught by the ‘western’ teachers often isn’t really dharma at all, so that’s why it’s ok to charge money.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

48vows wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 am because the so called “dharma” being taught by the ‘western’ teachers often isn’t really dharma at all, so that’s why it’s ok to charge money.
Not really.
For instance, I have listened to many Dhamma talks by David Goldstine and found that he teaches Dhamma. His discourses were not different from any Dhamma talk for an average ordained Buddhist monk. He charges for his service as he has to spend a lot of money on the overhead. Perhaps he must be making a profit as well. But have no problem with it. His accommodations seem to be a three-star rating compare to say Goenka's free retreats.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

SarathW wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:01 am
48vows wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:50 am because the so called “dharma” being taught by the ‘western’ teachers often isn’t really dharma at all, so that’s why it’s ok to charge money.
Not really.
For instance, I have listened to many Dhamma talks by David Goldstine and found that he teaches Dhamma. His discourses were not different from any Dhamma talk for an average ordained Buddhist monk. He charges for his service as he has to spend a lot of money on the overhead. Perhaps he must be making a profit as well. But have no problem with it. His accommodations seem to be a three-star rating compare to say Goenka's free retreats.
Do you mean Joseph Goldstein?

As far as I can tell, organisations such as IMS https://www.dharma.org/ charge for accommodation and associated costs, and the teachers only receive donations (dana). One could argue that the costs are rather high, but maintaining a retreat centre in a western country is not cheap.

Locally we run relatively inexpensive retreats by renting an inexpensive "camp" (a few buildings in the countryside) and running everything on a volunteer and self-catered basis, but that doesn't suit everyone. Even then, we have to charge about $50 per night to cover costs. We pay for travel for teachers, and feed and house them, but the only payment they get is by dana.

Monasteries run on a different model, where donations and other support provide the necessary money, so they do not need to charge retreatants. My impression is that the Goenka organisation also has some large benefactors, but I have no idea of the details.

In the end, the money has to come from somewhere. The idea that anything like this is cost-free is simply incorrect.

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Do you mean Joseph Goldstein?
That's right.
Sorry I was thinking about our David.
Not enough mindfulness.
:D
48vows

Post by 48vows »

They charge different depending on people’s race

https://www.dharma.org/funding-availabl ... 8-32-2020/

But they do have segregated classes too (maybe some folks think that is worth the cost)

https://www.dharma.org/bipoc-sangha-onl ... ing-group/

Anyways, I wouldn’t know if they teach any dharma or not.
I doubt it.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

48vows wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:27 pm Anyways, I wouldn’t know if they teach any dharma or not.
I doubt it.
Moderator note to please be mindful of the ToS:

d. Unsubstantiated allegations against individuals or traditions -
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Charging money is good for the mass production of wisdom. After all, money is a medium and a store of value between individuals, in a way, similar to memory where teaching a technique is convenient.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

48vows wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:27 pm They charge different depending on people’s race

https://www.dharma.org/funding-availabl ... 8-32-2020/

But they do have segregated classes too (maybe some folks think that is worth the cost)

https://www.dharma.org/bipoc-sangha-onl ... ing-group/

I doubt it.
Agree.
This is very strange for a Buddhist.
What you get is what you paid for?
Or this could be a demonstration of the deep division in society.
Perhaps Western Buddhism is going to be even worse than Sri Lankan Buddhism.

:(
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Making a Living Teaching the Dharma (and Otherwise)