Abortion

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
befriend

Re: Abortion

Post by befriend »

People with Down syndrome are like anyone else except sometimes they can't do simple tasks they are not a burden to society at all if anything they are a massive boon I worked alongside people with special needs for 6 years they are funny smart and loving. They can also contribute to society even if they don't they can have happy healthy fulfilling socially rich lives. I don't understand the concept of abortion because of Down syndrome at all. I think it's just ignorance of what Down syndrome entails.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

The male female dichotomy on this debate is irrelavent. Not every woman believes abortion is right/should be legal and not every man is against it. Simplifying it to that is like saying all black people want to be NBA players and all east asians are good at math. Do women experience the world differently than men? Yes. just as POC experience things differently than white ppl in the west. and different cultures value different things. I count my lucky stars everyday that i was born a man this lifetime in a developed place like the United States. But the precept is the precept. In Japan they have a culture of going out to a drink after work and some employers will even hold job interviews at bars where both the interviewer and interviewee have a drink while interviewing. Its extremely hard for people in these circumstances to keep the 5th precept, but that doesnt make it go away.

Its all about oppurtunity cost. i know lots of Buddhists who know that killing spiders is against the 1st precept, but they will kill spiders, especially dangerous ones because they think killing one is worth the benefit of not being bit by a dangerous creature or the effort it would take to catch and let it go. Ultimately, just like keeping any precept. it is the decision of the people involved to carry out the abortion or not. but they should at least be aware of the karmic cost and take that into account when deciding and not pretend like its not violating the precept when it is.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Aloka wrote: Sun May 12, 2013 2:41 am There was a sad case of a woman being refused an abortion in Ireland recently.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/ap ... r-abortion

abortion is killing a womb where consciousness already landed... its funny people want to avoid giving Human life to others when its rare to get..
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
asahi

Post by asahi »

To prevent having baby is not through abortion , isnt that by doing a surgery like sterilization and tubal ligation a better choice .
No bashing No gossiping
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

asahi wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 am To prevent having baby is not through abortion , isnt that by doing a surgery like sterilization and tubal ligation a better choice .
Maybe. But stopping rebirth of we worldlings has only long run negative karmic effects I think. What exactly those will be...??
Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Ex-abortion workers reveal the deception of mothers' to be, in addition to killing their babies:

Good and evil have no fixed form. It's as easy to turn from doing bad to doing good as it is to flip over the hand from the back to the palm. It's simply up to us to do it. Master Hsuan Hua.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

:rules:

Some posts referencing government activities have been removed because they're in contravention of ToS2k which speaks of "Content of a political or economic nature that is not in traced back to Theravada doctrine."

Posts about abortion, experiences and regret surrounding abortion etc. are on topic - government policies and practices aren't, unless traced back to Theravada doctrine.

:thanks:

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:09 pm Ex-abortion workers reveal the deception of mothers' to be, in addition to killing their babies:

I don’t understand the point of the video. Perhaps you can explain why it is relevant to the Sila section? Are you trying to identify who has not upheld virtue? The mother or the facility? When you dump videos with little explanation it is disruptive and does not encourage an organized and meaningful discussion.

Btw, the linked content in your posts is consistently low quality.
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

SDC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 pm
I don’t understand the point of the video. Perhaps you can explain why it is relevant to the Sila section? Are you trying to identify who has not upheld virtue? The mother or the facility? When you dump videos with little explanation it is disruptive and does not encourage an organized and meaningful discussion.

Sorry you are not capable of understanding. I apologize for my disruptive posts & their low quality. Not all can rise to the SDC standard.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:36 pm
SDC wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Sorry you are not capable of understanding. I apologize for my disruptive posts & their low quality. Not all can rise to the SDC standard.
Actually many rise to a high standard on this forum, especially those who are capable of taking ownership of what they post. I’m sorry you’re unable to do so at the moment, but since this is a public forum in a section having to do with Sila, I think you need to be mindful of the fact that you’re not here alone and content should have relevance to the theme of the section. Currently that video is meaningless and off topic, unless you care to explain what is has to do with the practice of virtue.

Is it the mother or the facility owner/employee/employees who is at fault in terms of virtue when it comes to the use of opioids during the procedure? For the administering of the procedure altogether? What is the point of the video?
“Life is swept along, short is the life span; no shelters exist for one who has reached old age. Seeing clearly this danger in death, a seeker of peace should drop the world’s bait.” SN 1.3
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Two sila points, at least, in the video: 1) Killing sentient beings - 2) Lying to & deceiving the women or girls.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:29 pm Two sila points, at least, in the video: 1) Killing sentient beings - 2) Lying to & deceiving the women or girls.
So are you saying that someone who is trying to establish the precepts and practice towards freedom from suffering as described by the Buddha shouldn’t get an abortion, nor work at an abortion facility? Do you really think someone considering the quality of their virtue in that regard would do either without understanding the gravity of the choice?

What are you hoping members take away from the video? That the choice to abort a pregnancy is not virtuous? That lying is bad? Or that the culture and practice of abortion is dangerous and is to be avoided?
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

SDC:

So are you saying that someone who is trying to establish the precepts and practice towards freedom from suffering as described by the Buddha shouldn’t get an abortion, nor work at an abortion facility?
Yes. Of course cetana or intent will mitigate or worsen the result.

Do you really think someone considering the quality of their virtue in that regard would do either without understanding the gravity of the choice?
Yes, especially nominal Buddhists or those who do not accept karma.

What are you hoping members take away from the video?
No hopes at all.

That the choice to abort a pregnancy is not virtuous? That lying is bad? Or that the culture and practice of abortion is dangerous and is to be avoided?
In most cases yes, to all three.
SDC

Post by SDC »

Nicholas Weeks wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:53 pm SDC:

So are you saying that someone who is trying to establish the precepts and practice towards freedom from suffering as described by the Buddha shouldn’t get an abortion, nor work at an abortion facility?
Yes. Of course cetana or intent will mitigate or worsen the result.

Do you really think someone considering the quality of their virtue in that regard would do either without understanding the gravity of the choice?
Yes, especially nominal Buddhists or those who do not accept karma.

What are you hoping members take away from the video?
No hopes at all.

That the choice to abort a pregnancy is not virtuous? That lying is bad? Or that the culture and practice of abortion is dangerous and is to be avoided?
In most cases yes, to all three.
Thank you. Now it is clear why you posted the video.

And btw, I said the “linked content” in your posts was consistently low quality, not your posts overall.
Nicholas Weeks

Post by Nicholas Weeks »

Some Buddhists can see beyond ordinary vision. Master Hsuan Hua was one. Here is what he saw; the hidden results of abortions caused by millions of spirits of murdered babies:
These diseases which are hard to cure do not happen by chance. Behind them, there is a ghost with a grievance who wants the person’s life in payment. So now I see a lot of little ghosts everywhere, trying to make people pay with their lives or causing them to suffer various strange diseases. These little ghosts were fetuses who were aborted before they had a chance to develop into complete human beings, so they are very ruthless. Why are they so malicious? Because you killed them first, and now they want to take revenge. Diseases caused by vengeful ghosts cannot be cured no matter what kind of doctor, Chinese or Western.
Master Hua in Memorial Volume 2:173, from a 1989 talk.