Questions about some of 8 precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Questions about some of 8 precepts

Post by Sam Vara »

Nwad wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:13 pm
Volo wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:07 pm What precept can playing with cat or children possibly break?
I thinked about entertainment precept ;)
Providing you don't enjoy it more than the cat, or get addicted to it, you're probably OK!

The monks at my local monastery often play with their cat.
Volo

Post by Volo »

Nwad wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:13 pm I thinked about entertainment precept ;)
I think should be fine :smile:. At least there are many monks (among those whom I think of having a good Vinaya) who have/play with pets. And for a lay yogi, who has children playing with them is a part of being a good parent.

Also the precept goes as "abstain from dancing, singing, instrumental music, and unsuitable shows, and from adorning and beautifying oneself by wearing garlands and applying scents and unguents". No mention about playing with children and pets (which has been definitely known in the Buddha's time, but he didn't mention it). So, I think there are no problems.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Sam Vara wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:46 pm The monks at my local monastery often play with their cat.
Cula is a really lovely cat ! :tongue:

Thank you for yours answers :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
auto

Post by auto »

https://suttacentral.net/mn98/en/sujato
“I shall explain to you,” said the Buddha, “Tesaṃ vo ahaṃ byakkhissaṃ, (vāseṭṭhāti bhagavā)
“accurately and in sequence, Anupubbaṃ yathātathaṃ;
the taxonomy of living creatures, Jātivibhaṅgaṃ pāṇānaṃ,

for species are indeed diverse. Aññamaññāhi jātiyo.
Know the grass and trees, Tiṇarukkhepi jānātha,
though they lack self-awareness. na cāpi paṭijānare;
They’re defined by their birth, Liṅgaṃ jātimayaṃ tesaṃ,
for species are indeed diverse. aññamaññā hi jātiyo.
http://dictionary.sutta.org/browse/p/pāṇa
pāṇa
pāṇaPTS Pali-English dictionary The Pali Text Society's Pali-English dictionary
Pāṇa,[fr.pa+an,cp.Vedic prāṇa breath of life; P.apāna,etc.] living being,life,creature D.III,48,63,133; S.I,209,224; V,43,227,441 (mahā-samudde); A.I,161; II,73,176,192; Sn.117,247,394,704; Dh.246; DA.I,69,161; KhA 26; ThA.253; PvA.9,28,35; VvA.72; DhA.II,19.-- pl.also pāṇāni,e.g.Sn.117; Dh.270.‹-› Bdhgh’s defn of pāṇa is “pāṇanatāya pāṇā; assāsapassās’āyatta-vuttitāyā ti attho” Vism.310.
prāṇa
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

auto wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:46 am https://suttacentral.net/mn98/en/sujato
Thank you a lot Auto :anjali:
So there is no doubt Panatipata includes plants too :anjali:
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Hello friends :anjali:

I have some more questions :)
- shaving body hairs under arms and in genital parties to avoid unpleasant smells, it's is considering as butification or adornment ?
- when some song comes into the mind and turns in it, it is singing ?
- pronouncing (citation) some passage from a song to illustrate something, it is singing ?

Thank you :anjali:
Volo

Post by Volo »

Nwad wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:56 am - shaving body hairs under arms and in genital parties to avoid unpleasant smells, it's is considering as butification or adornment ?
No. But taking a shower regularly might be an easier way to avoid bad smell.
- when some song comes into the mind and turns in it, it is singing ?
No. Actually you cannot break precepts by mind only. For breaking a vow you need either bodily or verbal action. Although by mind action you can accumulate bad kamma, but you sīla would be pure.
- pronouncing (citation) some passage from a song to illustrate something, it is singing ?
No. Because you don't sing.
Antaradhana

Post by Antaradhana »

Nwad wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 4:28 am1. Panatipata veramani sikkhapadam samadiyami : I undertake the precept to refrain from destroying living creatures.
Are plants considered as living? I heared that when there is breathin and breath out so there is a life? Or living creature is only creatures bounded by the wheel of samsara?
This refers to beings with consciousness. As for the inhalation-exhalation, gas exchange of plants is not a process of respiration, but a chemical reaction.

But nevertheless, the monks refrain from damaging plants and soil. But this is not connected with murder, but with the fact that: 1. it is possible to damage the dwellings of small animals and spirits; 2. You can cause discontent of peasants cultivating plants.

P.S. As far as I know, your work is connected with traveling by car. There is a dilemma: when you drive at high speed (> 70-80 km.h) along the highway in summertime, you inevitably kill a large number of flying insects: butterflies, moths, beetles, flies, midges. On the one hand, you have no intention to kill them, but on the other hand, you know that driving along the highway will inevitably kill them. So it goes... :(
All that is subject to arising is subject to termination, all formations are non-permanent. And that which is impermanent is suffering. Regarding what is impermanent and prone to suffering, one cannot say: "This is mine, I am this, this is my self".
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Thank you Volo, it's clear :anjali:
Antaradhana wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 pm As for the inhalation-exhalation, gas exchange of plants is not a process of respiration, but a chemical reaction.
Hello Antaradhana :anjali:
It's actually the point that I thinked about some weeks ago, and also, if "panatipada" meant plants too, so when Buddha teached 5 precepts to lay people would mean that they (and Sangha too) have to die out of striving )) Its a non-sense.
So I decided that's it's ok to cut some plants in my garden, but only when it's necessary.
Antaradhana wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:34 pm P.S. As far as I know, your work is connected with traveling by car. There is a dilemma: when you drive at high speed (> 70-80 km.h) along the highway in summertime, you inevitably kill a large number of flying insects: butterflies, moths, beetles, flies, midges.
... some birds and animals too :( once I was unaware because of watching (hearing) some video on YouTube while driving and couldn't stop in a good time, so some rat or squerrel was killed ... The same evening I went to do some sport in my gym and lost my posture awareness at the last repetition of squats, so my back was damaged and I spent next week in the bad without be able to standing of walking because of pain ... I think it was a kamma... :strawman:

Some times I understand that I could avoid to kill some bird if I respected the speed limit...

So now I drive in silence or listen some Dhamma, and respect all speed limitations. :alien:
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Hello friends!

Do a "hokku" formulation is considered as "amusement"?

:anjali:
Volo

Post by Volo »

Nwad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:23 am Hello friends!

Do a "hokku" formulation is considered as "amusement"?
Since you compose hokkus in your mind, and it doesn't require physical or verbal action I assume it should be fine.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Volo wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:44 am Since you compose hokkus in your mind, and it doesn't require physical or verbal action I assume it should be fine.
So even if hokku have dispassion and release, Dhamma, as aim - its considered as amusement? :sage:
Volo

Post by Volo »

Nwad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:20 pm So even if hokku have dispassion and release, Dhamma, as aim - its considered as amusement? :sage:
Why? I just meant that irrelevant on the content of the poetry its composition cannot be a break of the precept, since there is no bodily or verbal action.