Poll: Your precepts ?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

What are your precepts ?

I have no precepts
8%
I keep some among 5 precepts
19%
I keep 5 precepts
33%
I keep 5 precepts and Uposatha Day
3%
I keep 5 precepts and some among 8 precepts
22%
I keep 8 precepts
11%
I keep 10 precepts
3%
I keep Patimokkha
No votes

Total votes: 36

Alīno

Poll: Your precepts ?

Post by Alīno »

Greetings friends,

It's not about who is better or worse in practice, each of is keep practice on its own level and its great ! But more about statistic and just to know about the level of the sila.

If the topic is not apropriate or polemic, please delete it.

:anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
SarathW

Re: Poll: Your precepts ?

Post by SarathW »

I voted as "Keeping some precepts"
The reason being it is a very complex question to answer.
Keeping precepts has many levels. The precepts kept by an Ariya (Sotapanna etc.) are not the same as the precepts kept by a non-Buddhist or a Putujana. (run of the mill person)
I am surely do not consume alcohol. It is very easy to confirm. I do not have any craving for it at all.
Precepts like third precepts is vey complex to understand. Many think it is not having a relationship outside marriage but it is wider than that.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

Keeping 5 sīlā until ded.

8 sīlā 5 times per week or
20 days for 1 month.

8 sīlā for 7 weeks start from Vesākha Pūjā.

8 sīlā in vasså (3 or 4 months)
This year is the first time,
Start from August until 2022 (5 months or more).

8 sīlā = uposathå
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

SarathW wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:05 pm I voted as "Keeping some precepts"
The reason being it is a very complex question to answer.
Keeping precepts has many levels. The precepts kept by an Ariya (Sotapanna etc.) are not the same as the precepts kept by a non-Buddhist or a Putujana. (run of the mill person)
I am surely do not consume alcohol. It is very easy to confirm. I do not have any craving for it at all.
Precepts like third precepts is vey complex to understand. Many think it is not having a relationship outside marriage but it is wider than that.

Kāmesumicchācārå = wrong conduct in sensual pleasures

concubinage (harlotry) = violate
Prostitutes (harlotry) = violate

Adultery = violate (big problem)
Rape (ravisment) = violate (big problem)

Concubinage n prostitutes = FORNICATION = VIOLATE

Samenleven is a violation
of the third precept.
Only in the beginning.

Read Dhammapadå 24,
Kumbhaghosakå' story:

The Buddhå said: "... However, the act of
stealing and crime others
(the third precept in the story [samenleven])
will only bring DUKKHÅ.
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Voted on I keep no precepts. For practical reasons though, I try to not kill, steal, lie, or do anything that a striving brahmachari wouldn't do. Used to keep the 5 precepts, 6 precepts, 8 precepts, +3 of the dhutangas, etc., but I just found it problematic for various reasons. I'm still conscious of what I need to improve upon, I still heed the instructions found in the texts, and I know, for example, that right now I need to work on my sense restraint and eating habits--but, I just don't work with the 'precept system' anymore. I don't want to follow precepts, habits, guidelines, rules, restrictions, whatever the heck. It's called unbinding for a reason. I don't want to be bound by anyone or anything. Screw a precept. If something makes sense to me, I either do it or don't, based on discernment, in the present moment. Or at the very least, that's the state I'm striving towards. Every now and then I experiment and [try to] observe a precept or two. Don't assume that someone who doesn't keep any precepts or vows is not moral, is not practicing [properly], etc., because that may not necessarily be the case--they may be practicing even more seriously than someone who follows precepts in the traditional kind of way. Cheers.

Gwi, you're bumping old threads from 2018 and 2019 bro.
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

Mr. Seek wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am Don't assume that someone who doesn't keep any precepts or vows is not moral, is not practicing [properly], etc., because that may not necessarily be the case--they may be practicing even more seriously than someone who follows precepts in the traditional kind of way. Cheers.
Or, indeed, that someone who does keep the 5(+) precepts is more moral or a better practitioner.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Mr. Seek wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:16 am Voted on I keep no precepts. For practical reasons though, I try to not kill, steal, lie, or do anything that a striving brahmachari wouldn't do. Used to keep the 5 precepts, 6 precepts, 8 precepts, +3 of the dhutangas, etc., but I just found it problematic for various reasons. I'm still conscious of what I need to improve upon, I still heed the instructions found in the texts, and I know, for example, that right now I need to work on my sense restraint and eating habits--but, I just don't work with the 'precept system' anymore. I don't want to follow precepts, habits, guidelines, rules, restrictions, whatever the heck. It's called unbinding for a reason. I don't want to be bound by anyone or anything. Screw a precept. If something makes sense to me, I either do it or don't, based on discernment, in the present moment. Or at the very least, that's the state I'm striving towards. Every now and then I experiment and [try to] observe a precept or two. Don't assume that someone who doesn't keep any precepts or vows is not moral, is not practicing [properly], etc., because that may not necessarily be the case--they may be practicing even more seriously than someone who follows precepts in the traditional kind of way. Cheers.

Gwi, you're bumping old threads from 2018 and 2019 bro.
that's what i voted too. i try, but sometimes i fall short.