Should I take 5 precept within myself or with monk?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

Should I take 5 precept within myself or with monk?

Post by confusedlayman »

I am trying to follow 5 precept with some lapses... is it because i took it with mind?

should i take 5 precept by repeating each precet 3 times loudly?

or should i take in front of buddhist monk?

which one will have lasting effect on me so ?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Should I take 5 precept within myself or with monk?

Post by Sam Vara »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:25 pm I am trying to follow 5 precept with some lapses... is it because i took it with mind?

should i take 5 precept by repeating each precet 3 times loudly?

or should i take in front of buddhist monk?

which one will have lasting effect on me so ?
I think it is preferable to take it in front of a monk, but if that's not possible then just repeat them on your own. It's good if you can make a little ritual or occasion, so as to impress it upon your mind and have more impact. Personally, I think it's fine to just say or chant the precepts once. You might do it after the going for refuge, and maybe making a little offering of flowers, incense, and lighting a candle.

The most important aspect of the "lasting effect" is to do your best to keep the precepts.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Venerable Vijithananda said that you have to take the precept only if you think you break it.
You can do it your self without a monk.
It is important to note that taking three refuges also an important part if you are a Buddhist.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm Venerable Vijithananda said that you have to take the precept only if you think you break it.
It is important to note that taking three refuges also an important part if you are a Buddhist.
Yes, i took refuge in 3 jewels already automatically when i validated and found this teaching saved me from being a worst human
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:50 pm
SarathW wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:25 pm Venerable Vijithananda said that you have to take the precept only if you think you break it.
Yes, i took refuge in 3 jewels already automatically when i validated and found this teaching saved me from being a worst human
You have come a long way. :D
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 8:21 pmPersonally, I think it's fine to just say or chant the precepts once. You might do it after the going for refuge, and maybe making a little offering of flowers, incense, and lighting a candle.

The most important aspect of the "lasting effect" is to do your best to keep the precepts.
Here's the traditional sequence with the refuges repeated and the precepts said once:
https://www.dhammatalks.org/books/Chant ... _toc_id_41

You can also search around and find a recording on the web. Here's one:
https://bswa.org/practices/taking-five-precepts-online/

:heart:
Mike