selling ice cream and right livelihood

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

selling ice cream and right livelihood

Post by mario92 »

Namaste i want to ask these questions regarding selling ice cream: Is it right livelihood? does it lead to being fat in the future (according to kamma)? Is it good to advertise ice cream?
DNS
Site Admin

Re: selling ice cream and right livelihood

Post by DNS »

mario92 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm Namaste i want to ask these questions regarding selling ice cream: Is it right livelihood?
Yes.
does it lead to being fat in the future (according to kamma)? Is it good to advertise ice cream?
Virtually any food can make you fat if you eat too much of it. There are even some fat vegans (nuts, potato chips and some other fattening foods are vegan).

Yes, it's fine to advertise it, if that is your business.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you very much David :) :anjali:
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

As long as you dont intend to make people fat or something then selling ice cream is fine. Anything can be right or wrong livelihood depending on your intent. The only things that are bad livelihood regardless of intent are things that are by nature harmful namely, "Business in weapons, business in human beings, business in meat, business in intoxicants, and business in poison."

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.
denise

Post by denise »

hope you enjoy working with ice cream.....a good environment versus some other places.....and perhaps free samples?... :hug:
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you denise and TRobinson :hug:
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

mario92 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm Namaste i want to ask these questions regarding selling ice cream: Is it right livelihood? does it lead to being fat in the future (according to kamma)? Is it good to advertise ice cream?
Just think about all the cows who are beings commercially bred, artificially inseminated, and their utters forcefully milked by machines just so people can enjoy their petty sensual addictions. People need to wake up to animal cruelty especially us Buddhists, it's really unacceptable. There is a blatantly clear difference between owning a cow back in 1800 and making iced cream and the disgusting mess that goes on behind the curtains today.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

mario92 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:55 pm Namaste i want to ask these questions regarding selling ice cream: Is it right livelihood? does it lead to being fat in the future (according to kamma)? Is it good to advertise ice cream?
Selling ice-cream is cool. 8-)
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks venerable for the reply :) :anjali: