Army Reserve Against the Precepts?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Army Reserve Against the Precepts?

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:53 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:49 pm No, I didn't want to know that at all. There are a number of possible reasons why a person might think that being good at shooting would avoid taking a life in combat situations. One might think, for example, that aiming for non-vital parts of an enemy combatant is an option. I was pointing out that it's not. Or you might have been referring to aiming to miss. Or you might be referring to killing in order to save lives: the "trolleyology" option. you haven't said that you meant any of these, so I was just curious as to what you meant.

If you're not going to tell me what you meant, then it doesn't really matter what reasons you offer for not telling me, or what inferences you make about me as a result of an online conversation. I'm just not going to find out what you meant, am I?
No, I already gave you my answers loud and clear, the better the shooting skill, the much higher the chance to go for the arms or legs. It's a given that the torso presents the biggest target, but I already told you that it really doesn't matter anymore where to aim if you have to face a professional soldier fully geared up nowadays. And by telling me what works or not work without even living thru it with real life experience is, well, I'd say you're entitled to your own opinion.
Ah, it was about shooting at limbs rather than main body mass or head! At last! Thank you! :clap:
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:57 pm Ah, it was about shooting at limbs rather than main body mass or head! At last! Thank you! :clap:
I could use the weed you're smoking right now for it took you that long eh. I even posted a picture for you earlier :smile:
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:06 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:57 pm Ah, it was about shooting at limbs rather than main body mass or head! At last! Thank you! :clap:
I could use the weed you're smoking right now for it took you that long eh. I even posted a picture for you earlier :smile:
A picture of a woman in uniform with numbers, but no key....

No weed on my part, but the PTSD caused by all that combat does slow me down a little...
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:14 pm A picture of a woman in uniform with numbers, but no key....

No weed on my part, but the PTSD caused by all that combat does slow me down a little...
Ah, that's why. But seriously, my utmost respect to you if you indeed had real PTSD. Hooah!
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:17 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:14 pm A picture of a woman in uniform with numbers, but no key....

Ah, that's why. But seriously, my utmost respect to you if you indeed had real PTSD. Hooah!
No, I'm joking. :)
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Sam Vara wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:19 pm No, I'm joking. :)
No worries. :namaste:
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

santa100 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:28 pm
And this is a direct message to Akashad: of course it'd be best if you don't have to join the Army at all from a Buddhist perspective, for war is hell and certainly is not for the faint of heart; but if you do, please take time to think carefully about what to do given many contradicting internet's advices, don't just simply accept them.

Thank you.I will consider all the replies.You have many options as a reserve here.Your not obligated to be deployed or see war its completely voluntary.My main focus is just expanding my clinical nursing skills,humanitarian aid, working under pressure and education sponsorships (paying for my degree,getting a speciality skill).my country has voted no to conscription as early 1900s as it could damage the economy,but they brought it back during WWI,WWII,Vietnam using different methods like lottery tickets.who gets to go to war etc.But it's been stopped in 1972 and all the draft dodgers released from prison. so unless we suddenly get invaded, killing people is not even going to be an option.

Thank you.🙏
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

don't kill anyone at all, ever. it's not worth it, not even for your own life or someone you love; don't do it
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
sentinel

Post by sentinel »

Akashad wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm .....
I hope no animals killing involves in your medicine studies .
You always gain by giving
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

sentinel wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:41 pm
Akashad wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:46 pm .....
I hope no animals killing involves in your medicine studies .
No there are no animals being killed in my nursing studies however in biomedicine studies working with bacteria they will sometimes die.
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

Joining any military is bad. Militaries these days are not like royal militaries of old. These are funded by private corperations who controll the government (govern mind) which has leaders who are not appointed by their supreme karma but rather by their wiliness and backhand deals to gain power and money. You are not defending a country, rather defending the monetary interests of private business owners to enslave to masses.
Also, SN 42.3
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

you could go to the gym and lift weights every day to build discipline. or go outside and run every day. get up early every day to meditate. lots of ways to build discipline. that being said, sometimes i wish i had joined the military when i was younger, as i was troubled.