buying/using gun

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

buying/using gun

Post by confusedlayman »

Hey guys,

after covid, i might be going to some country like israel and live for sometime where all citizens are recommended to own their own gun .. I always like a soceity where there is no weapons

but if im in situation where buying gun is mandatory, should i buy and not use it? or just move to safer neibourhood. I might go temporary for few months or few years to get some training related to academics.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Re: buying/using gun

Post by Ceisiwr »

I don’t know any country where buying a gun is mandatory. That being said, there is nothing wrong in owning a gun and it is indeed a human right to do so. If you do buy one only use it in self defence and never to kill.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
sunnat

Post by sunnat »

""Bhikkhus. Uposatha is comprised of eight factors which the Ariyan disciple observes, the observation of which brings glorious and radiant fruit and benefit.

"Bhikkhus. What is the Uposatha which, observed by the Ariyan disciples, brings glorious and radiant fruit and benefit?"

"Bhikkhus. Ariyan disciples in this Religion reflect thus:

"'All arahants, for as long as life lasts, have given up the intentional taking of life. The club and sword have been laid down. They have shame and are compassionate toward all beings.'

"All of you have given up the intentional taking of life, have put down all weapons, are possessed of shame and are compassionate toward all beings. For all of this day and night, in this manner, you will be known as having followed the arahants, and the Uposatha will have been observed by you. This is the first factor of the Uposatha."
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

thanks. but i hate having weapons. i even prohibit the use of kitchen knife .. but i wont kill.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:01 pm thanks. but i hate having weapons. i even prohibit the use of kitchen knife .. but i wont kill.
Then no need to have one. My parents lived in Israel for several years. They never owned a gun.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:01 pm thanks. but i hate having weapons. i even prohibit the use of kitchen knife .. but i wont kill.
Owning a gun doesn't mean you will kill someone.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

DNS wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:18 pm
Then no need to have one. My parents lived in Israel for several years. They never owned a gun.
thanks.
chownah

Post by chownah »

I don't know about the rest of the world but in the usa the people who own guns are significantly more likely to die by gunshot....or at least that is what I've heard....someone could research this and get a more certain answer.
chownah
[james]

Post by [james] »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm
Owning a gun doesn't mean you will kill someone.
It does mean that you are willing to kill someone. The only way to ensure that you will not kill someone, with your gun, is to never have any bullets for it. Bullets are not needed to threaten someone with a gun and it is unlikely that you would kill someone by using the gun as a club. The purpose of a gun is to kill, not to wound or threaten.

(Of course firing range enthusiasms are a different story.)
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

[james]

You can use a gun without intention to kill.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:28 pm there is nothing wrong in owning a gun and it is indeed a human right to do so
What?
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mr Man wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm
Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:28 pm there is nothing wrong in owning a gun and it is indeed a human right to do so
What?
there is nothing wrong in owning a gun and it is indeed a human right to do so.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:23 pm
Mr Man wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:20 pm
What?
there is nothing wrong in owning a gun and it is indeed a human right to do so.
What do you mean it is a "human right"? You do not have the "right" to own a gun where I live.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Mr Man
What do you mean it is a "human right"? You do not have the "right" to own a gun where I live.
That people have a right to own a gun for self defence just like they have the human right to life, liberty, property, marriage, religion etc regardless of if the state recognises said right or not.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:33 pm Mr Man
That people have a right to own a gun for self defence just like they have the human right to life, liberty, property, marriage, religion etc regardless of if the state recognises said right or not.
Nope. That is a falsehood. There is no right to own a gun in the UK. And I don't think there is anything in the sutta to support your view. Perhaps you are trying to pass off non-Buddhist ideas.