What if we have violated a precept?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Nicolas

Re: What if we have violated a precept?

Post by Nicolas »

suttas wrote:[...] it is growth in the Noble One’s Discipline when one sees one’s transgression as a transgression, makes amends for it in accordance with the Dhamma, and undertakes future restraint.
MN 2 wrote:[...] This is how he attends unwisely: ‘Was I in the past? Was I not in the past? What was I in the past? How was I in the past? Having been what, what did I become in the past? Shall I be in the future? Shall I not be in the future? What shall I be in the future? How shall I be in the future? Having been what, what shall I become in the future?’ Or else he is inwardly perplexed about the present thus: ‘Am I? Am I not? What am I? How am I? Where has this being come from? Where will it go?’
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

DNS wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:11 pm Angulimala killed 999 people, yet still became an Arahant.

Petition to change my username to Angulimala
Jack19990101

Post by Jack19990101 »

seeker29384 wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:15 pm In my past I committed a serious transgression against one of the five precepts. I'll spare you all the details. But what now? It was many years ago, but I still feel great shame. Do I go to hell? Is that it? The way the Buddha talks about these things it seems like that's the only option. If that is the only option then I suppose I have to accept it, but is it correct that those of us who have transgressed must go to hell? I know realising Nirvana cleans the slate, but realistically, I can't expect that any time soon. Is there anything we can do?
The feeling of shame is kamma ripening, in partial.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

"There is the case, headman, where a Tathagata appears in the world, worthy and rightly self-awakened, consummate in clear knowing & conduct, well-gone, a knower of the cosmos, unexcelled trainer of those to be tamed, teacher of human & divine beings, awakened, blessed. He, in various ways, criticizes & censures the taking of life, and says, 'Abstain from taking life.' He criticizes & censures stealing, and says, 'Abstain from stealing.' He criticizes & censures indulging in illicit sex, and says, 'Abstain from indulging in illicit sex.' He criticizes & censures the telling of lies, and says, 'Abstain from the telling of lies.'

"A disciple has faith in that teacher and reflects: 'The Blessed One in a variety of ways criticizes & censures the taking of life, and says, "Abstain from taking life." There are living beings that I have killed, to a greater or lesser extent. That was not right. That was not good. But if I become remorseful for that reason, that evil deed of mine will not be undone.' So, reflecting thus, he abandons right then the taking of life, and in the future refrains from taking life. This is how there comes to be the abandoning of that evil deed. This is how there comes to be the transcending of that evil deed.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta