Question about covid and working

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

Re: Question about covid and working

Post by mario92 »

I remember before this i was starting to practising 5 precepts but i never imagined the seriousness of this that happened to me and my resultant actions.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

mario92 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:33 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:44 pm U are aware that virus will spread and if u still work, and ig someone dies u r responsible as u can have prevented it...

Dont spread to others
What can i do if someone got sick or die? It wasnt my intention to harm others. How would i know if they got sick? and how can i help?
u already know some one will die if they touch u or other ways and u could have prevented it because u r sure u will touch someone and that virus will spread and someone might die due to this...

if not, why govt is telling people to stay indoor?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

mario92 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:33 pm What can i do if someone got sick or die? It wasnt my intention to harm others. How would i know if they got sick? and how can i help?
You already received the advice from your doctor. Possibly seek the advice from another doctor. The people answering your posts on DW are not doctors.
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

mario92 wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:37 pm I remember before this i was starting to practising 5 precepts but i never imagined the seriousness of this that happened to me and my resultant actions.
Even Buddha got sik and passed away. So, do not take sickness too personally.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

If you can prove you had covid-19 and recovered, your plasma will be valuable while the antibodies last. This is a good reason to get tested. Donating plasma with those antibodies is good dana and good karma. Also, if it is like here you can get paid for your time.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

All you can do is take reasonable precautions, and try not to harm others. Because you live in a house where covid has spread, you are at a very high risk for transmitting the disease to others. This is an opportunity for you to practice mindfulness and generosity. Obviously, you could spread the disease accidentally or not knowingly, in which case you would be blameless. This isn't necessarily a precept issue, but trying not to harm others is an overall rather than specific goal of the precepts.
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks all for the answers.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Hi mario,

Moral questions are rarely a clear cut. It is good to ask others, but no one understand your situation better than you.

There are a lot of uncertainties about COVID. The context differs between countries and between individuals. For example, if you live in a country with very low number of cases, being more cautious makes sense. If its already wide spread with tens of thousands of cases are reported every day, then not going to work would not be the best idea unless the laws in your country explicitly require people who tested positive to quarantine themselves. If you decide to go to work, and the pandemic is already spread in your country, that does not mean you act carelessly. You try your best not to cause harm, but still, being able to live with the possibility of causing unintentional harm. When people drive their cars, they live with the possibility that they might cause accidents hence they drive carefully.

Kammic effects of your actions are inseparable from what you know. The more you understand the world, the more you will be able to see things in perspective and act accordingly. A spoon of salt in a glass of water makes it undrinkable. A spoon of salt in a lake goes almost unnoticed.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Bundokji wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:49 am If its already wide spread with tens of thousands of cases are reported every day, then not going to work would not be the best idea unless the laws in your country explicitly require people who tested positive to quarantine themselves.

Whose advice is this? Are there any countries that advise to continue as normal if infectious? In my opinion what you are saying is irresponsible.
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Mr Man wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:29 am
Bundokji wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:49 am If its already wide spread with tens of thousands of cases are reported every day, then not going to work would not be the best idea unless the laws in your country explicitly require people who tested positive to quarantine themselves.

Whose advice is this? Are there any countries that advise to continue as normal if infectious? In my opinion what you are saying is irresponsible.
Where i live, asymptomatic confirmed cases are required to self quarantine for 7 days, mild cases for 10 days, more severe cases for 13 days, so not all are treated equally. As the OP question was a moral question, considering the law of the land, among other things, is relevant. At the beginning, when the number of cases were law, they used to isolate whole neighborhoods when a new case is discovered. Now, when the numbers became in the thousands, they are learning to adopt more adaptive policies, especially that winter is approaching.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.