How to follow the seventh precept in modern days?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Goofaholix

Re: How to follow the seventh precept in modern days?

Post by Goofaholix »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:45 pm If this precept means literally anything which amuses you other than meditation, it's very severe. Even the internet could be in it.
The eight precepts were designed to support people to do intensive practice, if somebody wants to go on a retreat and surf the internet for entertainment then it's not much different from home life.

Having the precept gives one the opportunity to ask the question, why is it that I crave entertainment right now?
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Goofaholix wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:05 pm
The eight precepts were designed to support people to do intensive practice, if somebody wants to go on a retreat and surf the internet for entertainment then it's not much different from home life.

Having the precept gives one the opportunity to ask the question, why is it that I crave entertainment right now?

:goodpost:
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

rhinoceroshorn wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:25 pm From Khuddakapāṭha 2:

vii. Naccagītavāditavisūkadassanā veramaṇīsikkhāpadaṁ,
I undertake the training rule of refraining from dances, songs, music, and watching shows.

I'm intrigued with this watching shows. Does it mean that watching a YouTube video breaks the precept? It's a kind of remote show. :shrug:
I know the 8 precepts are about restraint, but I struggle to understand what are the boundaries of this.
I read that some people interpret this part of the precept as refraining from entertainment but this is utterly vague. For example, I'm currently reading nutrition/health books. Do they break the precept? They entertain me, but I read them mostly due to their utility.
1. Dancing: all dance
2. Singing: all song, except ballad (without music)/chanting
3. Instrument: all music n instrument (especially gaming)
4. Inappropriate shows:
adrenaline-pumping or exhilarating

It is better to watch Dhammå (sermons)
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

No dancing 🥲