Volition of killing

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
thepea

Volition of killing

Post by thepea »

Buddha says avoid killing, and the debate between microorganisms and ones body killing them all the time comes up. So generally don’t sweat what you can’t see is generally deemed a non breach of first precept.

So now we are being tasked by Mara the responsibility of these microscopic viruses and not to spread them to others.
How do I know if I have these microscopic viruses?

Is it really my responsibility since these things are invisible and my intention is never to harm others.

How can anyone ever prove that these virus were spread by me since again they are invisible?

How do I know that this isn’t a massive lie by Mara to attack the global population?

If it is Mara and this is a plot against the global population am I guilty of breaking a precept if I contribute by following maras orders?

If I am convinced that this is maras work, am I not obligated by my morality to be socially disobedient?
coconut

Re: Volition of killing

Post by coconut »

thepea wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:08 am
If I am convinced that this is maras work, am I not obligated by my morality to be socially disobedient?
No. If you want to be socially disobedient, go be a forest hermit. You can't live in a suburbian society and be exempt from suburbian society rules.
thepea

Post by thepea »

coconut wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:53 am
thepea wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:08 am
No. If you want to be socially disobedient, go be a forest hermit. You can't live in a suburbian society and be exempt from suburbian society rules.
But to follow Mara blindly goes against my moral wisdom. I honestly have little to no choice(not want but need) in my actions but to be socially disobedient.

As I mentioned the forest has been deemed private property and hired guns(police) will arrest me if found in a forest. Also it’s -15 outside so a heated vessel is required.

Options?
BlackMagic

Post by BlackMagic »

Volition

Volition as a meditative topic is very telling and a very good place to think of oneself sitting as nindana link when meditating on it... there is a perception of kamma and time that exists in that link of volition... but on closer looking, it is habit that sits there... mara and the conflict of self that sits there.

Example looking at speech; to say good is like time dragging standing still to say bad is as quick as a finger snap, or the opposite quick to say something good but slow to anger... looking at body, oh i need to take care of myself these others i care for do not take care of me or the opposite i need to take care of others as i only take care of me. Mind that's where the link or do or don't so say or doesn't say exists and yet it doesn't as it is a potential like that found in physics

Murder... it is a grievous error; even if one is not a monastic.

Wrong livelihood and vocation are both present in military and police as they kill... over what? Earth touch... things wrought in and out of this huge homogeneous mass, things spoken about through air(breath and wifi), across fire(powerlines) water consumed by all those beings running around collecting and protecting things not themself from those things others may want your things... those thoughts/actions is are the same as wrong vocation and livelihood.

When someone speaks of time frames? It is like writing a contract with Mara... who knows? who knows? Spirit living in a tree you didn't know lived in a tree shows up 70 years later where were you is not the question to ask in equanimity as such a thing can give rise to enmity.
What has happened; Is that which has yet to come. What will be ...Already is.