is being a sugar daddy good kamma?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: is being a sugar daddy good kamma?

Post by Sam Vara »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:45 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:31 pm That might be "mixed kamma"; good and bad with good and bad result. Giving in a purely disinterested way is good, but raises the question of why this particular person (rather than, say, the Sangha, where giving has most fruit) and whether a person giving in this way has some kind of motive they don't admit even to themselves.
Giving in a purely disinterested way is good
why do people say this? in the dana sutta, the highest motivation for giving is that it is 'an ornament for the mind, a support for the mind'. just one example of many that shows that it's a good thing to practice for your own welfare.
Well, there's probably a big difference between giving someone something as part of a seduction routine or because we want them to like us, and giving them something in a disinterested way and merely knowing that it's an ornament for the mind.
but yeah, i obviously want some kind of attention from someone attractive. kinda sad but
also, i fall back on the fact that giving in itself is a pure action with happy consequences
i only wish the person could have been a buddhist honestly, but maybe if we talk back and forth enough he will convert
I don't think that's sad at all! It's just the way we are. We all want and need attention, and we are (nearly!) all sexual beings who respond to beautiful people. I hope you can work out a relationship with this person that is successful and based on mutual respect, regardless of whatever else is involved. :heart:
chownah

Post by chownah »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:48 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:36 pm bad kamma... leads to lower rebirth as that action based on wrong view ...
dont people buy their husbands or wives gifts all the time? what about valentines day
Is giving a spouse a vaentines day gift good kamma?

If you enjoy giving someone presents why try to justify it by trying to make a case that it is good kamma?....why not just enjoy it and do something else for good kamma?
chownah
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Intercourse is the most straightforward/obvious sexual act, but what "sex" involves is a much wider concept than copulation.

Buddhism teaches us to acknowledge meaningful differences. For example, actions are divided into mental, verbal and physical. We are taught to stop evil at its subtlest form (thought), and if we cannot, then verbal (speech), and if we cannot, then at the physical level.

On the other hand, and as our battle is against self-deception, we avoid grey areas where evil can take the form of fake virtues:
Rain soddens what's covered
& doesn't sodden what's exposed.
So open up what's covered up,
so that it won't get soddened by the rain.
Indeed, the path that leads to worldly gain is one and the Path that leads to Nibbana is another. Fully comprehending this, the bhikkhu, the disciple of the Buddha, should not take delight in worldly gain and honour, but devote himself to solitude, detachment and the realization of Nibbana.
For most of us, the path to Nibanna is too far fetched. The alternative is to side with merit and develop harmlessness as much as we can.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

its better to give Money to people who are in need like homeless or beggars or give to highest place like monestry ... so u get good merit without doubt
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
zerotime

Post by zerotime »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm if i gave money to someone because i found him attractive, did i make good kamma?
I think no, because it would be an stupid action.

If we Imagine that we only have one hour of life, many sila doubts become easy to solve. Some sila concerns can disappear while others reveals
themselves like stupid things.
Try it in case of doubt
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

salayatananirodha wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm if i gave money to someone because i found him attractive, did i make good kamma?
Being a sugar daddy, probably not. the way you describe. giving someone money or being nice because they are attractive. maybe if you werent expecting anything in return and were just treating them nicely for being attractive as many humans subconsciously and consciously do at times. Although id gather it would be less good karma than if you gave them money for a more geniune reason than trying to be nice to an attractive person.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
asahi

Post by asahi »

Sugar daddy - a rich older man who lavishes gifts on a young woman in return for her company or sexual favours .

Lust n craving appear to be unwholesome according to what Buddha taught .
Good kamma is wholesome kamma right ?!
No bashing No gossiping
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

TRobinson465 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:53 am
Being a sugar daddy, probably not. the way you describe. giving someone money or being nice because they are attractive. maybe if you werent expecting anything in return and were just treating them nicely for being attractive as many humans subconsciously and consciously do at times. Although id gather it would be less good karma than if you gave them money for a more geniune reason than trying to be nice to an attractive person.
this and similar answers resonate most with me. after talking about this in various groups online i think it's different from typical interactions involving sensuality and money. but definitely mixed kamma
i've also been sort of embarrassed and unsure how to respond but also i had surgery this week and have been chillin
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
Meezer77

Post by Meezer77 »

I shouldn’t get on my feminist high horse but my answer would be a gigantic NO!!!! If you are using a young person for sex you are robbing them of their youth and the chance to form a partnership with someone similar to their age. Also you might get taken advantage of and it’s unlikely you’ll have much in common. Forgive if I’m wrong, but I do believe shallowness is something frowned upon in Buddhism.