sarcasm

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
retrofuturist

Re: sarcasm

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
salayatananirodha wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:58 am i dont have much time right now but i want to leave this here
It's a good and interesting list, but it's worth noting that it's about what "the Tathagatha knows"... so unless we have the powers (bala) of the Buddha, we cannot emulate this. We would be better served to follow what the Buddha instructed as being the path, and as being Right Speech, rather than the speech code that he himself, uniquely, could follow due to his arahantship, his ability to read minds, and so on.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Dhamma Chameleon

Post by Dhamma Chameleon »

mjaviem wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:38 am I think irony goes without cruelty. I can't say the same about sarcasm. So I think sarcasm is unwholesome.
I agree. I was a big fan of sarcasm but after examining it closely, I found in every single instance it arose along with ill-will. When humour arises without ill-will, it does not manifest as sarcasm as far as I can see.
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

Sarcasm is...often a defence mechanism, a cloud of obscurantism and a cover for insecure people to hide behind so that they may attain a state of crude one-upmanship over others.

But it is a position only an insecure man or woman would seek.

Or -- a foolish, arrogant misguided man or woman would seek such a place.

Once confronted, the sarcastic usually crumble -- but then one may find once one confronts them, one finds oneself caught up in an unskillful state of mind. Confrontation in such a manner is painful.

So -- sarcastic people are best avoided in my experience. It's not a good place for a follower of Dhamma to be.
chownah

Post by chownah »

GnosticMind wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:38 pm Sarcasm is...often a defence mechanism, a cloud of obscurantism and a cover for insecure people to hide behind so that they may attain a state of crude one-upmanship over others.

But it is a position only an insecure man or woman would seek.

Or -- a foolish, arrogant misguided man or woman would seek such a place.

OK then.....I guess that includes just about everyone!!!!
chownah
GnosticMind

Post by GnosticMind »

Sadly, there may be some truth in that! But there are lots of sarcastic people who think they are smart....

Perhaps your assessment is why many Dhamma-devotees become disenchanted with the world.