challenging Ajahn Brahmali on parasites

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Mr Albatross

Re: challenging Ajahn Brahmali on parasites

Post by Mr Albatross »

kenteramin wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:42 am Is there agreement that an arahant would keep a parasite?
I don't know if there is an agreement on this, but it does seem to me like an unavoidable conclusion.

To be able to have the thought, "Should I poison the tapeworm or shouldn't I?" you'd need to be someone who is capable of intentionally killing a living being. But in his discourse to Sutavan the wanderer (AN 9.7) the Buddha gives depriving a living being of life as the first of the nine actions that an arahant is not capable of doing.
salayatananirodha

Re: challenging Ajahn Brahmali on parasites

Post by salayatananirodha »

Mr Albatross wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:19 pm
Cause_and_Effect wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 12:41 pm And those who do not act wisely reap the fruits also.

Naeglria fowleri - 'the brain eating parasite'.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria/index.html

A very high fatality rate of 95%
There is a small chance of documented survival if treatement is sought taking antifungal drugs which kill the parasite. To not do so is certain death.
For a poster so palpably saintly as the OP I believe "certain death" would be considered a mere trifle.

Greater love hath no man than salayatananirodha, who would gladly lay down his life even for a single bloodsucking tick in his ear. How much more so for Naegleria fowleri in his brain, hookworms in his duodenum, flukes in his liver, nematode worms in his eyes, Guinea worms in his skin and dragon worms in his arms and legs. Come one, come all!

:anjali:
i dont think amoebas count but sadhu for your unintended praise
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested