Microdosing on cannabis

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Disciple

Microdosing on cannabis

Post by Disciple »

Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
dharmacorps

Re: Microdosing on cannabis

Post by dharmacorps »

THC is an intoxicant. Advil and tylenol are not. Sleeping pills could be depending on the intention of taking them.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

dharmacorps wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm THC is an intoxicant. Advil and tylenol are not. Sleeping pills could be depending on the intention of taking them.
It isn't intoxicating in low doses and can have the same effect as pharmaceutical drugs without the many side effects.

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:25 pm
dharmacorps wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:12 pm THC is an intoxicant. Advil and tylenol are not. Sleeping pills could be depending on the intention of taking them.
It isn't intoxicating in low doses and can have the same effect as pharmaceutical drugs without the many side effects.

If you're looking to find justification for taking THC (or any drug), you'll find it one way or another. Why bother asking others input if you've already made your mind up?
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Because I can and I would like to hear more points of view. :)
bodom

Post by bodom »

If you are taking it to relieve pain and not to get high then I don't see a problem with it. To thine own self be true. As always in the Buddha's teachings intention is key.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

bodom wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 pm If you are taking it to relieve pain and not to get high then I don't see a problem with it. To thine own self be true. As always in the Buddha's teachings intention is key.

:goodpost: The individual's intention is, I think, key here. But it is often difficult for people who desire pleasure to differentiate between that and the desire for medicinal benefits. I would trust a person who had never used cannabis before and who was trying this remedy for pain or restlessness on the advice of a physician. A seasoned cannabis user, less so.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
Interesting you said 5mg and microdosing, but your chart shows <2.5 for microdose; and it says euporia in the category covering 5mg. Just noticing.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

JohnK wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Disciple wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:45 pm Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
Interesting you said 5mg and microdosing, but your chart shows <2.5 for microdose; and it says euporia in the category covering 5mg. Just noticing.
Correct I'm taking 5 mg which is the smallest capsule sized dosage I can find at the moment. Might be a little heavier dosage than what I actually need but it takes away all my pain/anxiety and puts me to sleep like a baby.
Disciple

Post by Disciple »

bodom wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 pm If you are taking it to relieve pain and not to get high then I don't see a problem with it. To thine own self be true. As always in the Buddha's teachings intention is key.

:goodpost: I try taking it only every second or third day in order to avoid developing a tolerance and addiction.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Up to you to decide for you about how you follow the precepts.....

Another issue is whether the use of medicines to aid sleep will keep you from finding the real problem as to why you need something to help you sleep.....of course you might not be able to discover why you need help in sleeping but taking medicine to help you sleep will probably be a hindrance in finding out.
chownah
filadelfocustomized

Post by filadelfocustomized »

I believe 5 milligrams of cannabis gum before bedtime isn't a violation. It's better not to abuse it.
Microdose

Post by Microdose »

Recreation drugs and plant medicines are two totally different things

If siddharta was a historical person living with ascetic sadhus , there is high possibility that he took ganja which was widely used in india then as it is today

It’s quite possible but will be hard to prove that the rice milk may have even have been bang lassi

The only problem in modern times is that as lot of these plant medicines , even opium are not used in the right way

My wife is a nurse and in modern
Medicines morphine and cannabis is used a pain relief

Myself personally from what I have read these things if uses right is very beneficial

The problem comes in using them
Right

Medicine is one of the four requisites

I find it a bit hypocritical when people use psychoactive pharmaceuticals for depression and anxiety that maybe called mental illness within religious circles but deny the usage of natural plants as medicines

Given the choice I would always use natural medicines and not care to much about others opinions
santa100

Post by santa100 »

Disciple wrote:Would microdosing on 5 milligrams of thc before going to bed to help with sleep and bodily discomfort be considered a precept violation? If yes, then is taking a sleeping pill and some tylenol or advil also be a violation?
If it's just for helping with sleep and bodily discomfort, before resorting to the drug approach, why not trying out the natural one first, like some taichi, yoga during the day and combining with meditation before bed? They can't hurt and there's no cost nor side effect.
Rayduport

Post by Rayduport »

I believe 5 milligrams of cannabis gum before bedtime isn't a violation. It's better not to abuse it. You can chew it once a day. You can alternate between chewing gum and CBD oil.