8 precept and life span

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

8 precept and life span

Post by confusedlayman »

is not hearing music, shows watching etc increase lifespan ?
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
mjaviem

Re: 8 precept and life span

Post by mjaviem »

I think forecasting the lifespan of an individual is a debased art. And about lifespan expectancy of an 8-precepts follower perhaps science has some answer. The important thing is not knowing the lifespan but knowing to be away from danger.
https://suttacentral.net/dn2/en/bodhi wrote:...
Great king, the bhikkhu who is thus possessed of moral discipline sees no danger anywhere in regard to his restraint by moral discipline. Just as a head-anointed noble warrior who has defeated his enemies sees no danger anywhere from his enemies, so the bhikkhu who is thus possessed of moral discipline sees no danger anywhere in regard to his restraint by moral discipline.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm is not hearing music, shows watching etc increase lifespan ?
The vipāka of regularly keeping all of the eight uposatha precepts is rebirth in heaven, but nothing is stated about the vipāka of keeping the seventh precept alone.
Whatever wealth exists in this sphere—
pearls, gems, and excellent beryl,
horn gold and mountain gold,
and the natural gold called haṭaka—

those are not worth a sixteenth part
of an uposatha complete in the eight factors,
just as all the hosts of stars
do not match the moon’s radiance.

Therefore a virtuous woman or man,
having observed the uposatha complete in eight factors
and having made merit productive of happiness,
blameless goes to a heavenly state.

https://legacy.suttacentral.net/en/an8.42
It is abstention from killing that is said to have longevity as it's vipāka, though the effect of such abstention won't be experienced until the next life. The maximum possible span of our present life was unalterably fixed at the moment of conception and cannot be lengthened by any means at all. It can, however, be shortened - by akusala acts, especially that of killing, and by poor lifestyle choices.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

In whatever way they conceive it,
It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

confusedlayman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:22 pm is not hearing music, shows watching etc increase lifespan ?
When my favorite music is not singing in my ear, I am in heaven.
I still hear my favorite music I heard about three weeks back!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Joshua

Post by Joshua »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:28 am The maximum possible span of our present life was unalterably fixed at the moment of conception and cannot be lengthened by any means at all. It can, however, be shortened - by akusala acts, especially that of killing, and by poor lifestyle choices.
Hi Venerable, can you share the source for this please? I am not doubting you, but I have never heard or read this before. Thanks!
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

Joshua wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:16 pm Hi Venerable, can you share the source for this please?
The commentary to the Cūḷakammavibhaṅgasutta.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
befriend

Post by befriend »

Does sleeping on a one person mattress that is regular height off the ground count as non luxurious bedding?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
asahi

Post by asahi »

Dhammanando wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:28 am
It is abstention from killing that is said to have longevity as it's vipāka, though the effect of such abstention won't be experienced until the next life. The maximum possible span of our present life was unalterably fixed at the moment of conception and cannot be lengthened by any means at all. It can, however, be shortened - by akusala acts, especially that of killing, and by poor lifestyle choices.
Did the Buddha explain why by commiting graves offences appears to bring about the effect of super long lifespan in hell realm ?
Do you mean if i was destined to live for 78 years of age due to past kamma vipaka yet no matter what methods i try will not increase it to 90 , 95 or 100 years of age ?
And one could not prolong by keeping healthy lifestyle , by training in deepening jhana and using jhana means to prolong lifespan and performing a great wholesome kamma to the humanity and of animals that i somehow could prolong it or even through advance science intervention in altering the DNA for example ?

:thanks:
No bashing No gossiping
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am Did the Buddha explain why by commiting graves offences appears to bring about the effect of super long lifespan in hell realm ?
No. The different forms that vipāka takes are just presented as brute facts.
asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am Do you mean if i was destined to live for 78 years of age due to past kamma vipaka yet no matter what methods i try will not increase it to 90 , 95 or 100 years of age ?
And one could not prolong by keeping healthy lifestyle , by training in deepening jhana and using jhana means to prolong lifespan and performing a great wholesome kamma to the humanity and of animals that i somehow could prolong it or even through advance science intervention in altering the DNA for example ?
Those activities might increase the likelihood of your being able to live out the full life-span that was handed to you at conception. They wouldn't add to your years in this life, though abstention from killing might add to them in a future human life.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
asahi

Post by asahi »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:07 pm
asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:48 am Do you mean if i was destined to live for 78 years of age due to past kamma vipaka yet no matter what methods i try will not increase it to 90 , 95 or 100 years of age ?
Those activities might increase the likelihood of your being able to live out the full life-span that was handed to you at conception. They wouldn't add to your years in this life, though abstention from killing might add to them in a future human life.
Oh i remember in one sutta it says Buddha can live to span of 1 kalpa if requested by Ananda (if my memory are right) ?

No bashing No gossiping
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:15 pm Oh i remember in one sutta it says Buddha can live to span of 1 kalpa if requested by Ananda (if my memory are right) ?
Yes, that's the Mahāparinibbānasutta. The commentary takes the word kappa to mean his full life-span rather than aeon. In other words, by means of the iddhipādas the Buddha could have lived on to be a hundred if Ānanda had petitioned him to do so.
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
asahi

Post by asahi »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:23 pm
asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:15 pm Oh i remember in one sutta it says Buddha can live to span of 1 kalpa if requested by Ananda (if my memory are right) ?
Yes, that's the Mahāparinibbānasutta. The commentary takes the word kappa to mean his full life-span rather than aeon. In other words, by means of the iddhipādas the Buddha could have lived on to be a hundred if Ānanda had petitioned him to do so.
Is not lifespan in pali is ayu ?
No bashing No gossiping
Bundokji

Post by Bundokji »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:23 pm Yes, that's the Mahāparinibbānasutta. The commentary takes the word kappa to mean his full life-span rather than aeon. In other words, by means of the iddhipādas the Buddha could have lived on to be a hundred if Ānanda had petitioned him to do so.
Does these laws still apply to the Arahant? It is difficult to explain why the Buddha did not live to his full life span even though he did not commit akusala acts.
And the Blessed One addressed the bhikkhus, saying: "Behold now, bhikkhus, I exhort you: All compounded things are subject to vanish. Strive with earnestness!"

This was the last word of the Tathagata.
Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando »

asahi wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:36 pm Is not lifespan in pali is ayu ?
Yes, that's another word for it.

https://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/p ... rchhws=yes

https://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/app/p ... rchhws=yes
Yena yena hi maññanti,
tato taṃ hoti aññathā.

It turns out otherwise.
(Sn. 588)
asahi

Post by asahi »

Dhammanando wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:23 pm Yes, that's the Mahāparinibbānasutta. The commentary takes the word kappa to mean his full life-span rather than aeon. In other words, by means of the iddhipādas the Buddha could have lived on to be a hundred if Ānanda had petitioned him to do so.
Is there any sutta reference saying full lifespan means 100 years ?
I assume with iddhipādas He can achieve 120 / 150 or even 200 years of age ?

No bashing No gossiping