Genorosity

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

Genorosity

Post by confusedlayman »

Is it called generosity if donation is done online via bank card or PayPal etc? during buddha period, everyone donate directly without middleman but now bank act as middle man and hence do good karma keep coming if donations are done online? I donate to monestry which is in another continent.
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Ceisiwr

Re: Genorosity

Post by Ceisiwr »

confusedlayman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:13 pm Is it called generosity if donation is done online via bank card or PayPal etc? during buddha period, everyone donate directly without middleman but now bank act as middle man and hence do good karma keep coming if donations are done online? I donate to monestry which is in another continent.
You are still giving, so yes.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Ceisiwr wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:18 pm
confusedlayman wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 2:13 pm Is it called generosity if donation is done online via bank card or PayPal etc? during buddha period, everyone donate directly without middleman but now bank act as middle man and hence do good karma keep coming if donations are done online? I donate to monestry which is in another continent.
You are still giving, so yes.
thanks
bhante dhamma

Post by bhante dhamma »

Just to add in parenthesis- in the pāli canon it is said the Buddha did not praise giving casually, and did indeed explicitly state to give with one's own hand, and give frequently too, so maybe find a local Sangha to support too? Be well upāsaka(s).
bodhifollower

Post by bodhifollower »

bhante dhamma wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:27 pm Just to add in parenthesis- in the pāli canon it is said the Buddha did not praise giving casually, and did indeed explicitly state to give with one's own hand, and give frequently too, so maybe find a local Sangha to support too? Be well upāsaka(s).
Well said. To further this he said that giving oneself is greater than if you had someone give for you. So I believe a direst deposit would be greater merit than by sending money to a bank and then they send the money. Best of wishes.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

bodhifollower wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:48 am
bhante dhamma wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:27 pm Just to add in parenthesis- in the pāli canon it is said the Buddha did not praise giving casually, and did indeed explicitly state to give with one's own hand, and give frequently too, so maybe find a local Sangha to support too? Be well upāsaka(s).
Well said. To further this he said that giving oneself is greater than if you had someone give for you. So I believe a direst deposit would be greater merit than by sending money to a bank and then they send the money. Best of wishes.
I agree with the first but not the highlighted.
The highlighted seems the wrong view.
A few weeks back I went to the temple and gave a donation to the temple building fund.
The monk used my credit card using is his EFTPOS machine.
I met the monk and we discuss Dhamma as well. So it accrues more merits to meet the monks in person if possible.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

I donate using debit card in paypal, it is more practical because in my country there is not tradition i like, and i would have to travel just for giving a little. Better give from paypal and save money. Pd. I had to ask the monastery if they accepted donations because in their website they dont promote it (maybe because of vinaya rule) so maybe if you dont find donation button, you would need to ask first, and then they would give you the link.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

I think donations can be done online it all matters is state of mind... casually giving mind is different from giving out of deep intentional to serve sangha... both can be done online if u are far from monestry but if u r near monestry u can go to temple and transfer ...