Holding sila 8 and eating after noon time.

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
JC938

Holding sila 8 and eating after noon time.

Post by JC938 »

Hi,

If Im holding sila 8 and I some days eat in the evening. Is it ok? Is it bad? I have been holding for about 1-2 months but some days I eat after noon as I want to walk the middle path and dont want to be too strict and steessful. I eat bevause I have urge but if I wanted I could control I believe. I want to know if its ok.

Thanks.
Inedible

Re: Holding sila 8 and eating after noon time.

Post by Inedible »

It seems like what I remember reading on the subject is that if you are going to do so, that it is best to choose something liquid like juice. It didn't say fruit or vegetable. I'd think that a plain broth would fit in the same category. The idea is that it has flavor and calories but still keeps to the purpose of allowing the digestive system to rest and empty out before you sleep. Honey and bananas, while being solid, are also very easy to digest and are good in the event of having a hangover to help with recovery. The process of digestion just happens to be most efficient in the morning and that is one of the reasons. Another is that it tends to be easier for lay supporters on your alms round if they just have to give you something once, at a fixed time frame.
Nobodyisspecial

Post by Nobodyisspecial »

8 precepts, right?
No eating afternoon? Right?
This is where I think it is a deep issue.
The laity observing monastic precepts? It's a grey area (kind of hard to declare whether laity should behave like monks?).
To me it's obvious that's it's a transition from laity to monk in this grey area. What do you think?
At what point does studying the vinaya become relevant?
You see what I mean? In the vinaya an 8 precept violation would be something you confess as taught by the vinaya. Then you would be forgiven and there would be a type of probation for that precept being broken animated.

Willing the precept? You sound a bit undecided. A little extra food is no big deal. But if you are breaking it is a big deal, why break the precept if it is avoidable? Why take up the precept if you are not decided to commit to it?

Transcendence of the path is by walking the path. There is no other way.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

You are not holding the 8 precepts if you dont follow all 8. If you are unable to keep the 8 precepts every single day that is fine, go on 5 precepts on some days where you feel like you cant go without eating and then just go on 8 again the next day. Im assuming your a lay person so you are able to go in and out of the 8 precepts freely. But you are not holding the 8 precepts if you eat after noon and you should not be given an impression that you are.

Just recognize your limits and let yourself to go on 5 precepts on some days if you cant hold the 8 precepts consistently. Its like meditating everyday, if you cant meditate every single day for whatever reason, that is okay, you can work your way up. But dont pretend you are on days you aren't.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
KiwiNFLFan

Post by KiwiNFLFan »

I've heard some Thai monks eat chocolate in the evening. As it is considered milk, it doesn't break the fast.
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

KiwiNFLFan wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:19 am I've heard some Thai monks eat chocolate in the evening. As it is considered milk, it doesn't break the fast.
Thai Forest monks eat dark chocolate because it is free from milk, and they regard it as life-time medicine. Milk is regarded as solid food, and not permitted in the afternoons.

The five tonics are allowable in the afternoon for one who is sick, not for one who is not sick. The original allowance was made for bhikkhus who suffered from jaundice and vomitted their meals. The five tonics are also allowable on an occasion of hard physical work.

The five tonics are: Ghee (sappi), butter (navanītaṃ), oil (telaṃ), honey (madhu), and molasses (phanitaṃ).

For anyone who is fasting on eight precepts, and not taking solid food after noon, if they are so famished that they cannot sustain effort, then they can take a little sugar or honey to raise their blood sugar level. Do not overdo it, or you may get diabetes. The Burmese use a concoction call Catumādhu (four sweet things) consisting of ghee or oil with honey and sugar. It is pretty disgusting stuff to eat more than a teaspoon or two. It is not like scoffing spoonfuls of honey or packets of boiled sweets to satisfy your greed.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Gwi

Post by Gwi »

Ofc, ur fast is invalid!
Bahagia Tidak Harus Selalu Bersama

Dhammapadå 370
"Tinggalkanlah 5 (belantara) dan patahkan 5 (belenggu rendah),
Serta kembangkan 5 potensi (4 iddhipādā + 1 ussoḷhi).
Bhikkhu yang telah menaklukkan 5 kungkungan (belenggu tinggi),
Lebih layak disebut 'orang yang telah mengarungi air baih (saṃsārå)'."