I lied on my blood donation form today

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
shuka

Re: I lied on my blood donation form today

Post by shuka »

Btw, why are gay men not allowed to donate blood?
Akashad

Post by Akashad »

I am not sure why you would do that.

I'm a healthcare professional and i have HIV positive patients.

I hope you lied about your name or age(mind you this is a legal document) because if you have some kind of condition that excludes you from donating blood and chose to do so regardless, rest assured that it's near meaningless as all blood donations are tested and if they find out you have donated unsuitable blood placing other people at risk.

they can easily just trace you back.You do need full ID.

So let's hope you are making a big deal about lying about your height.Because if you are intentionally donating unsuitable blood you have no business being anywhere other than prison.

Also I know this is a buddhist forum but I am mandated by LAW to report any strong intent/act that intentionally places yourself or others at risk and lying on a blood donation form albeit useless in many cases as blood is screened trust me no ones going to take your word over a pathology lab report.This level of of casual disregard when placing other people in harm's way is alarming to me as a health professional and a human being. I dont think people realise what you did is not only wrong but constitutes criminal behaviour.I don't buy into your I am only trying to be good position as you are placing other people in harm's way.You shouldnt be lying about anything on the form there's plenty of other way to help people like NOT DONATING your blood.NOT LYING on the form.
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

shuka wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm Btw, why are gay men not allowed to donate blood?
It was to do with HIV and hepatitis B in the 80's, and a concern around new novel diseases which could occur in gay men due to a significant number of us practicing both unsafe sex and extreme sexual hedonism.
“The teacher willed that this world appear to me
as impermanent, unstable, insubstantial.
Mind, let me leap into the victor’s teaching,
carry me over the great flood, so hard to pass.”
StrivingforMonkhood

Post by StrivingforMonkhood »

Let's not be judgmental.

We're all delusional.

Make the situation right, and move on.

May you fulfill your deepest wish for happiness. :anjali:
May we all fulfill our deepest wish for happiness

We are already Buddha
shuka

Post by shuka »

Ceisiwr wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:06 pm
shuka wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:49 pm Btw, why are gay men not allowed to donate blood?
It was to do with HIV and hepatitis B in the 80's, and a concern around new novel diseases which could occur in gay men due to a significant number of us practicing both unsafe sex and extreme sexual hedonism.
Ok.
Why is this restriction still in place? Is it not possible to screen the blood donated by gay men for HIV, Hepatitis, etc.?
Modus.Ponens

Post by Modus.Ponens »

shuka wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:46 am
Ok.
Why is this restriction still in place? Is it not possible to screen the blood donated by gay men for HIV, Hepatitis, etc.?
Some countries allow it, some don't. In western countries it has to do with infection rates in subgroups. For example, ex heroin addicts cannot donate blood in my country because they have a much higher rate of infection than other subgroups in society. I did a quick search and found some sobering numbers from the CDC. It's possible to screen the blood but, afaik, the tests are not perfect and have a margin of error that could let the viruses go undetected.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/do ... sm-508.pdf
'This is peace, this is exquisite — the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Unbinding.' - Jhana Sutta
shuka

Post by shuka »

Modus.Ponens wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:20 am
shuka wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:46 am

Ok.
Some countries allow it, some don't. In western countries it has to do with infection rates in subgroups. For example, ex heroin addicts cannot donate blood in my country because they have a much higher rate of infection than other subgroups in society. I did a quick search and found some sobering numbers from the CDC. It's possible to screen the blood but, afaik, the tests are not perfect and have a margin of error that could let the viruses go undetected.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchhstp/newsroom/do ... sm-508.pdf
Thanks for the info and stats.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

they have not asked me to provide another donation. Perhaps i am blacklisted.
Cause_and_Effect

Post by Cause_and_Effect »

bpallister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 pm how will this karma ripen, and when?
That's pretty bad man.
I mean you risk contaminating the entire batch if not screened properly, there are medical reasons why they have strict guidelines its not something you should lie about.

Confessing it on an anonymous forum is one thing but if you confessed it to them you may be in a bit of trouble.
Still it's the right thing to do.
You should call them up and admit your gave wrong information.
It's a test of your integrity and if you are really in this Dhamma.
If you want, it's still better to tell the truth with a partial lie about your intent that you 'didnt realize' just so they are informed rather than keeping quiet about it, if you don't want to say 'I knowingly gave contaminated blood'.
It would at least prevent the risk of it being used.

Edit:
I see this was an old post and you took no action.
Weak move and you should question your actions and intentions from the top down.
Like an 🍊, only when it is squeezed and put under pressure do we see what type of juice comes out. The same with sila and virtue.
"Therein monks, that Dimension should be known wherein the eye ceases and the perception of forms fades away...the ear... the nose...the tongue... the body ceases and the perception of touch fades away...

That Dimension should be known wherein mentality ceases and the perception of mind-objects fades away.
That Dimension should be known; that Dimension should be known."

(S. IV. 98) - The Dimension beyond the All
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

I told them about it
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i've gone natty for the time being and am thinking of donating blood again.