I lied on my blood donation form today

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
bpallister

I lied on my blood donation form today

Post by bpallister »

how will this karma ripen, and when?
Coëmgenu

Re: I lied on my blood donation form today

Post by Coëmgenu »

Possibly via fines, the police, etc., and whenever you're caught in this life or sometime during the next.

I hope you're not pretending to be HIV- when you're positive.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

bpallister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:51 pm how will this karma ripen, and when?
The SAME ANSWER to all the other questions you've asked about your sila: reflect on why you broke your sila, and decide not to do it again.
It's in the past. Do better in future. That's all you can do.

I'll be honest, to me it seems your continual focus on your breaking sila is a little unhealthy and maybe obsessive.
Just acknowledge your fault and try not to do it again. Don't obsess about it.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

here's the thing tho. If i had told the truth (i lied on one question) i would have not been able to donate. so i want to donate to thin out my blood a little and to help other beings, but i cannot because i have been injecting some vitamin T and peptides--if i tell the truth.
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

Coëmgenu wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:18 pm Possibly via fines, the police, etc., and whenever you're caught in this life or sometime during the next.

I hope you're not pretending to be HIV- when you're positive.
oh no, nothing like that.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Well, if you tell the truth, you'll be fined and banned from donating in the near future. Maybe you deserve to be. I wouldn't do it in the future.

Adulterated blood can be very bad if given intravenously to someone with a weakened immune system. Hopefully they will screen the blood adequately.

I can't donate blood because I'm gay. I don't pretend to be straight when the needle comes. Sometimes you just can't, given your lifestyle choices.
What is the Uncreated?
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i figured they removed all the impurities from the blood before giving it to someone else. I don't think I would be fined, but maybe banned. I did not have to lie about sleeping with prostitutes this time, so i'm down to one lie.
Last edited by bpallister on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

We don't have the technology for that, AFAIK. They'll screen it though.
What is the Uncreated?
bpallister

Post by bpallister »

i wish i could just go in for an "oil change" some place with no questions asked.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

bpallister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:36 pm here's the thing tho. If i had told the truth (i lied on one question) i would have not been able to donate. so i want to donate to thin out my blood a little and to help other beings, but i cannot because i have been injecting some vitamin T and peptides--if i tell the truth.
I do not think that you are helping another being.
This is a selfish act!
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

bpallister wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:36 pm ... i have been injecting some vitamin T and peptides.
You absolutely CANNOT and MUST NOT donate blood again. You may have killed or seriously injured someone.
That blood goes directly to people who may be in surgery, or critically injured in ER. They can't have blood with other stuff in it.
This is serious. Do you understand?
Alino

Post by Alino »

Call them, say your name, date of donation and tell them that actualy you used vitamins T and peptides. And then fully assume consequences if there will be any.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Alino wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:58 am Call them, say your name, date of donation and tell them that actualy you used vitamins T and peptides. And then fully assume consequences if there will be any.
That's a very good idea. Otherwise Bpallister you are not really serious about keeping sila.
You have the chance to make it right, and if you don't, you may end up hurting someone and suffering real serious consequence in the next life.
Compare the kamma of little lie about a blood donation, compare that to the huge bad kamma of maybe ending someone's life.
TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 »

Considering this lie was for whats possibly a legit safety concern for the recipeint. this is bad and you should tell them right away, lest if something happens the karma will be worse than just the act of lying.

This is serious and unambigous. It would be a different story if this was something benign, for instance a few years ago in the US there was a lifetime ban on blood donations for men who had ever had sexual contact with another man. Lying about this would still be a breach of the 4th precept, but it would be much more ambigious morally since that rule was based on long disproven junk science, and the only way to donate blood b4 the rule was revoked was by lying about it if you had had such contact.

This is not that case. Correct it right away if you can, that was not a benign lie and you're putting somebody else's health at risk.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

u are a dangerous man
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...