Poll: To kill or to be killed

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).

To kill or to be killed?

To kill
14%
To be killed
86%

Total votes: 21

Alino

Poll: To kill or to be killed

Post by Alino »

This is a question I like to ask Buddhists.

It case if they have à choice - to kill someone, or to be killed - what would they choise?

I ask this question because I think that it's an important one, that must be reflected upon, because when it could occur - it may be to late to make a choice.
We don't live Samsara, Samsara is living us...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
TRobinson465

Re: Poll: To kill or to be killed

Post by TRobinson465 »

Depends on the circumstance. but id rather be killed than kill someone (meaning a human) in most cases. I dont even fear death so its not a huge sacrifice.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

From Ajahn Lee's autobiography, a voice he heard when he was face-to-face with a dangerous wild animal, himself about to run away: "Those who are afraid of death have to die again". That's how I remember it at least.

Option 3: Neither.
Aloka

Post by Aloka »

Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:00 am This is a question I like to ask Buddhists.

It case if they have à choice - to kill someone, or to be killed - what would they choise?

I ask this question because I think that it's an important one, that must be reflected upon, because when it could occur - it may be to late to make a choice.
Instead of speculating about imaginary choices in imaginary situations, it might be better to ensure that one doesn't make any enemies in the here and now, and practice loving kindness and compassion towards all senient beings.

:anjali:
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

I’d try to disarm if I could. If not I’d hope I’d have the strength not to kill someone.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr »

Aloka wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:43 pm
Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:00 am This is a question I like to ask Buddhists.

Instead of speculating about imaginary choices in imaginary situations, it might be better to ensure that one doesn't make any enemies in the here and now, and practice loving kindness and compassion towards all senient beings.

:anjali:
You can learn things through thought experiments.
“Knowing that this body is just like foam,
understanding it has the nature of a mirage,
cutting off Māra’s flower-tipped arrows,
one should go beyond the King of Death’s sight.”
mjaviem

Post by mjaviem »

Aloka wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 12:43 pm ... ensure that one doesn't make any enemies ...
https://suttacentral.net/dn2/en/bodhi wrote:...
Great king, the bhikkhu who is thus possessed of moral discipline sees no danger anywhere in regard to his restraint by moral discipline. Just as a head-anointed noble warrior who has defeated his enemies sees no danger anywhere from his enemies, so the bhikkhu who is thus possessed of moral discipline sees no danger anywhere in regard to his restraint by moral discipline.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā Sambuddhassa
Alino

Post by Alino »

Mr. Seek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am From Ajahn Lee's autobiography, a voice he heard when he was face-to-face with a dangerous wild animal, himself about to run away: "Those who are afraid of death have to die again". That's how I remember it at least.

What do you mean by Neither?
Not making decision is equivalent to death...

"Form, feelings, perceptions, formations, consciousness - don't care about us, we don't exist for them"
Mr. Seek

Post by Mr. Seek »

Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:23 pm
Mr. Seek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:02 am From Ajahn Lee's autobiography, a voice he heard when he was face-to-face with a dangerous wild animal, himself about to run away: "Those who are afraid of death have to die again". That's how I remember it at least.

Not if you've gone beyond life and death, killer and killed.

"Hopefully neither" is a better way to put it. :D
Alino

Post by Alino »

Mr. Seek wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:34 pm
Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 1:23 pm

Not if you've gone beyond life and death, killer and killed.

"Hopefully neither" is a better way to put it. :D
Indeed :)
If kamma is good there will no be that kind of choice )
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Is the person likely to kill others, for example in a terrorist attack?
It's a question of context.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
Alino

Post by Alino »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:30 pm

Don't really matter I think... The question here is more about if one is ready to kill for the most valuable reason (one's life)...

But its un intresting question that shows how dangerous for one's kamma can be attachements to others people... Because often people are OK to die, they say that's it's OK. But when question of security of our family and relatives comes - they say that I will kill everybody who touches my family... Its intresting, isn't it?
Last edited by Alino on Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:06 pm

Don't really matter I think... The question here is more about if one is ready to kill for the most valuable reason (one's life)...
It matters. A long time ago I was Army, serving in a counter-insurgency unit. The detail is important here.
Alino

Post by Alino »

Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:11 pm

It matters. A long time ago I was Army, serving in a counter-insurgency unit. The detail is important here.
I added the following :

"But its un intresting question that shows how dangerous for one's kamma can be attachements to others people... Because often people are OK to die, they say that's it's OK. But when question of security of our family and relatives comes - they say that I will kill everybody who touches my family... Its intresting, isn't it?"

As Terrorist or resistant it's just a matter of point of view. For the nazis, French rezistants was terrorists... Its not for judging, just for giving some perspective 🙏

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Alino wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:15 pm
Spiny Norman wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:11 pm

I added the following :

"But its un intresting question that shows how dangerous for one's kamma can be attachements to others people... Because often people are OK to die, they say that's it's OK. But when question of security of our family and relatives comes - they say that I will kill everybody who touches my family... Its intresting, isn't it?"

As Terrorist or resistant it's just a matter of point of view. For the nazis, French rezistants was terrorists... Its not for judging, just for giving some perspective 🙏
You seem to be arguing some sort of dodgy moral relevatism, implying the Nazis were sort of OK.
This is complete nonsense. The Nazis were nasty Jew-killing murdering bastards,, the French resistance were heroes. Shame on you.