Precepts and making amends for lay buddhists

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Mangaka

Precepts and making amends for lay buddhists

Post by Mangaka »

Hello, I would like to ask, if someone can share with me sutta (if there is any like that) where is described how should lay buddhist act if he breaks any of observed precepts. If that person breaks a rule toward another lay person or toward monk, what should be done?
Should that person reflect about improper act for itself and just try to don't do that again, or there is something else, like you must tell about that to someone first etc.?
santa100

Re: Precepts and making amends for lay buddhists

Post by santa100 »

Monks apprentices and fulltime monks would have to go thru more rigorous and formal prescribed Vinaya procedures when it comes to making amends for precepts breaching. As far as lay followers are concerned, no hard and fast rule other than trying one's best to observe the Five Precepts and to some, the Eight Precepts in accordance with the spirit of the Four Right Exertions.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Re: Precepts and making amends for lay buddhists

Post by Sam Vara »

There have been a couple of earlier threads on the subject of confession in Theravada.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40290&p=624197&hil ... on#p624197

There is a suggestion for a form of words in the above thread, but I've never known this to be a formal practice. I think that normally a personal recognition that one has fallen short is sufficient, coupled with a determination not to repeat the error. And, more importantly, not to wallow in regret.